Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Be extra careful out there ... hunting season is approaching.

Straight Arrow

Injured hiker rescued from Gates of the Mountains Wilderness

THOM BRIDGE, Independent Record

Lewis and Clark Search and Rescue and Two Bear Air recovered an older couple stranded in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness northeast of Helena on Tuesday afternoon.

The married couple was hiking along the Meriwether Cannon Trail when the 75-year-old man injured his leg. The woman climbed a hill to call for help, according to Lewis and Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton.
Search and rescue was deployed as well as Two Bear Air from Kalispell. The woman was able to provide accurate coordinates from her cellphone.

They were located nearly 6 miles from and about 2,000 feet above the Meriwether Picnic Area.

The helicopter crew hoisted the man out of the wilderness to the Gates of the Mountains boat docks, at which point he was taken by ambulance to St. Peter's Health.
Two Bear then returned to the site to hoist the woman and the couple's packs to safety.
Dutton said search and rescue's backup plan was to travel up the river by boat to the picnic area and hike into the forest.

Although "older couple" was a misnomer as all is relative, the couple was my wife and I. A rock went out from under me and down I went with a heavy backpack driving me down, twisting my knee and severing the tendon from the patella to the lower leg. Hunting season now not looking promising. The EMTs described my wife's compression sleeve, foam pad, ace bandage, two-stick, paracord splint as the best backcountry splint they had seen. The air crew EMT who hoisted me up on a cable into the helicopter saw my Huey cap and speculated that I was an old Vietnam Vet Huey driver who just wanted another chopper ride. 😊 His insight was based on the fact that his father is a retired career Army former Vietnam Huey pilot. I had flown some sling loads during my career ... but had never been on the other end of the line! :D

Be careful out there, Hunt Talkers!

Glad you're alright! That's big country back there with a lot of loose rock outcroppings and shale slides. Your story makes me extra glad I got an inreach this year. I'll also be more careful when I'm scampering across the rock ridges. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you're OK, good on your wife for the quick work, and thanks for the story and the reminder! Hope you can do some hunting this fall even with a bum leg.

Glad it wasn’t worse and wish you a speedy recovery! Hopefully you can heal up in time for at least the rifle season.

I am really glad to hear the outcome of your situation is good! Sorry to hear you're injured at the same time though. What a great reminder to all who dare to adventure into the woods whatever the reason.

I tweaked my back unloading a pergola from a truck day before yesterday and have been gimped up on the couch ever since. All I could think was "holy crap I'm glad it isn't OCT!!!" Doesn't really seem so bad :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back