Any California turkey hunters out there?

Brandon270

I've started looking into possibly hunting turkey this spring, preferably in central California. I know there are lots of turkeys in the Central coast region, santa margarita area (northern Los Padres National Forest). From what I've found on the forest service website it says that area is the Monterey ranger district, but it says it's closed to hunting due to the soberanes fire forest order. The map they have looks like it covers the whole region. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm a central California hunter, unfortunately I hunt turkeys on private land inthe north Bay Area. Keep looking.

We found a few around Santa Margarita when I was in college at Cal Poly, that was 18 years ago though...so no promises they're still around!

I lived in SLO Co. for most of my life,worked at SML & lived on La Panza road in the end. Used to call them yard birds & could blast one before work in the yard warming the truck. Did some live gang netting with DFG @ Lopez Lake when I was there, for release elsewhere.Flocks of hundreds @ the County Park became a big problem.
There used to be good numbers in the Los Padres from SLO to Big Sur.Same with deer & pigs.
They were still around AG,Margarita, thru Paso to the Coast Range,but too many people did it in for most part,IMHO. My bro still hunts around Margarita & FHL to BS. He still gets birds & deer,but has access to ranches now like I did for year too.

We found a few around Santa Margarita when I was in college at Cal Poly, that was 18 years ago though...so no promises they're still around!
I went to Cuesta, from 2009-2011, came accross a lot of turkeys in that area while hiking. Just not sure what the hunting regs are in that area. I know my dad used to deer hunt out there but that was 35+ years ago haha. I guess I'll try to get a hold of the ranger office and see whats going on with hunting in that area.

I've located some in the foothills of the Serria Madre Mountains of SB county. Lots of private land in that area, but with OnX maps you can navigate the edges of public/private where the national forest is. This will be my first year trying turkey. I don't expect much, but saw a crap ton of them on private near where I'm going to set up on public. Crossing my fingers.

Update. The area I went to was a complete bust, though I deviated from my original plan due to having to hunt alone. Will try again in the fall or next year.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back