Caribou Gear

Turkey questions

swoleymammoth

Hey everyone,

Just went out turkey hunting here in Utah for the opening weekend of the limited entry turkey season and I had no luck. Heard a ton of gobbles, saw a few hens, but just didn't see a tom and couldn't get one in range.

I've posted a picture of the area I'm hunting below because I'm hoping I can get some tips/advice.

The loop at the end of the road shown is a campground where all the turkeys roost in the highlighted area that is filled with pines and cottonwoods that surround a stream that runs through the camp. I was set up just south east of the camp at the marker, facing south east towards the highlighted yellow towards the bottom where I heard gobbles coming from.

The circled red area is where I'm thinking of trying out Friday morning. I wasn't able to hunt that area over this past weekend because that road right there was lined with trailers and people camping since the campground itself is closed. I'm hoping that there aren't a lot of people friday morning and I'm able to get to that area. Lastly, the turkey marker is where I saw some hens a couple of weeks ago but it's really close to private.

My questions are:

1. Does the area I'm thinking about trying out just north of the roost seem like a decent spot? If that's not available I will probably just set up in the same area i did last weekend.

2. Any advice on hunting pressured turkeys?

3. What is the preferred habitat for Rio Grande turkeys? Outside of the campground its mostly sagebrush, scrub oak thickets, and juniper trees. Not much water outside of the campground, a spring just north and west of the campground, and the snow melt/runoff in a ravine at the bottom of the map.

Turkey Map.jpg

Thank you guys in advance for all of the help, I really appreciate it and I'm hoping to get my first turkey!

I would set up between the roost and your red circle
....Go there the evening before and roost them so you know which trees they are in...like specifically which trees. Then next morning move in well before light and set up within 100yds. If you can find where they are flying down to set up there. Generally they will roost near a meadow or open area in the timber that they can fly down to easily.

Back