Any Barnes fans out there?

The TXS is a new concept relatively speaking.
Yeah, sorta like the lube grooves in lead bullets from the 1800's. ;)

BTW, the TTXS is constructed closely to the partition without lead.
I'm thinking he's meaning MRX. Which is more akin to the old Failsafe.

PS- It'll be interesting to see how Nosler's new E-tips do. I'm thinking they'll be putting a decent sized dent in Barnes sales.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. I'd argue that the front core of a Partition makes it quite different in construction and behavior compared to the monometals or hybrids (FailSafes and MRXs). I've used original Xs and TSXs quite a bit but have sworn off anything Barnes. Not because of failure but because they support Don Peay. I'll be using Nosler/Hornady products for the foreseeable future.

I'd argue that the front core of a Partition makes it quite different in construction and behavior compared to the monometals or hybrids (FailSafes and MRXs).
I'd definitely agree with that! I think that difference makes them a better 'all-around' bullet as well. I know that anything I've hit with a 210gr Partition from my 338 hasn't liked them!

Way too many things to go wrong without having to worry about a barnes bullet failing to perform correctly. Way better idea to stick with Partitions. Never had to worry about them.

If they're such a good bullet...why are you not shooting them...but instead shoot a-frames and scirroco's?

Why are you still arguing when I've told you, at least twice, to shoot whatever you want? Really, I couldnt give a shit less what you do or what bullet you shoot. I simply like reporting the facts, which I've done

I do shoot barnes TSXs as well as partitions, core-locts and others.The fact is that I get a pretty good discount from swift.
And I am not arguing with you, I am simply attempting to get you to man up.
Why are you having so much trouble supporting your post?

I always had my doubts about the X bullets expanding on game myself. It wasnt until I recovered this one that my thoughts were confrimed. This .308 168gr.TSX was fired from a 300 WSM at 3000fps MV at appx 107yds on a big bodied Canadian whitetail shot head on, slightly quartering through the chest, I recovered the bullet in the right rear hindquarter. Yes, the deer traveled 30 yards and piled up but this bullet could actually be loaded again, no exspansion at all. Yes, it did open my eyes and I''ll never have trust in them again. That's my opinion only, your milage will vary.

Barnes168TSX.jpg

While not a Barnes, I have also tried other homongenous bullets. These in particular are 200 gr Lost River VLD J36 hunting bullets. Not much of a test but these were recovered from a dirt backstop after being fired from a 338 Lapua at 100 yards. Muzzle velocity was 3380 fps. Still have 50 or so of these left, guess I have some very expensive plinkers.:eek:

IMG_9171.jpg

I saw this and had to respond even though it's an old comment.
Barnes makes great bullets...BUT they preform best at a lil longer distance IMO.
Cases in point: I was shooting a 7mm Rem mag...on a north MO deer hunt several years back...(good solid size ag area whitetails). Shot a nice 220 lb field dressed 4x4...(shot as it ran by at about 30yds in an open pasture on a drive)...the bullet went thru the ribs, pulling out a string of guts thru an exit hole about the size of a dime...took 3 1/2 hours of trailing a severally wounded deer on the move to anchor it. I shot a medium sized doe for meat/herd control...shot it in the upper neck...45yds...the bullet went thru with virtually no expansion (but it did drop like a sack of potatoes). I've shot 1 deer at about 125 yards...and it dropped dead...bullet worked wonderfully. I was telling a buddy about it and he said he quit using them in his 300 Wthby for the same reasons in his experience...50ish yd shot...shot thru...no expansion...ended up trailing a wounded deer and had to shoot it again.
I think they do great at a distance...and on larger game. Some people as stated above have had great success with them. I like the Barnes, I like the 100% copper...but I have a bit of caution about using them sometimes in my 7mm Rem Mag. I bought a Browning BLR in .358 win...going to load some 200 gr Barnes for it and see how they do.

Distance is irrelevant, fps is what matters. Most argue the exact opposite for the x bullets, that you need speed for them to expand reliably, which is why they're so popular in the Weatherbys.

Randy11
I dont understand...my 7mm loads were about 3000fps...but close range...no expansion...I've spoken w some folks shooting in 35 whelen...with no problems...slower in the 2700-2800fps range. I tend to think slower for these is a lil better....is that what you're saying?
I'm really looking forward to trying in my 358 win at 2450-2550 fps.
They are made of a harder than average copper alloy...maybe that contributies? Heck...I don't know...just seen some results I questioned?
Appreciate your input.

If a bullet is designed to expand at slower speeds, then it would over expand at higher velocities, not under expand.
If you're going to be hitting animals at lower velocities, any of the more traditional bullets would probably be a better bet than a Barnes.

Randy's right, with Barnes bullets you want to go down a little in weight, and up in velocity. They work better moving. I shoot 140 grainier motating at 3147. So far all expansion was great.

Randy's right, with Barnes bullets you want to go down a little in weight, and up in velocity. They work better moving. I shoot 140 grainier motating at 3147. So far all expansion was great.

7 mag or 270?

...oops, never mind, I read thru Buzz and SRR's peefight and saw you shoot the .280. My bad.;)

Last edited:
randy11 & shoots-straight:
Now I get it...I'm a lil slow sometimes.
With that in mind I think I'll go with Hornady's, Noslers or Core-lokts...like you say more traditional in the .358 due to 2450-2550 fps...but I may work up some hotter loads in my 7 rem mag and use the barnes...as I do like the concept.
Thanks for your input guys.

Well, I have had great success with them myself. I pulled this 168 grain TSX I fired from a 300wsm out of a 6X6 bull I shot. Yardage was 225 approx, slight quartering away shot, found bullet under the skin on opposite shoulder. The bullet weight after I cleaned it up was 167 grains. I did not weigh it before hand but that is pretty close to full weight retention.

Anyway, to each there own. I have seen practically every bullet made cut to shreds on forums like this.

8475168tsx.jpg

I've used Barnes X, XLC, TSX, and now the TTSX. They work. I've seen them fail to open first hand as well. However when they fail they still kill. Better than the alternative. IMO there is no better bullet on the market.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back