Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Any advice on best off-the-shelf .338 Win Mag ammo for bucking the wind?

LopeHunter

I would think performance is related to bullet weight and the coefficient of the bullet shape. Looking for ammo that performs well in crosswinds. Is mostly for deer hunting. Most shots under 300 yards but at times could be a bit longer. Winds up to 15 mph with gusts. I do not reload.

I'd say that anything with the 225gr Nosler Accubond would be a good bet. That said, for deer only and out to just over 300yds I'd look hard at some with the 200gr Nosler Ballistic Silvertip (as loaded by Winchester) or the 200gr Accubond. I've had very good performance out of the Ballistic Silvertip on deer sized game and one elk.

You are wayyyyyyyyyyy over gunned for anything besides a T-Rex. You should be shooting a 100 grain partition out of a .243 for everything in North America, right buzz and 1_point?1?!?!

JK! Couldn't resist :)

+1 on the accubond's or silver tips, I'm a huge fan of both.

Good one twsnow... Thats what I like about this site. I may be wrong but it seems people don't take these things too seriously.

Regarding the question. I don't think at 300yds a little extra BC means much one way or the other, what 1_pointer recommended would be my choice as well. Plus at a measly 200gr it would hopefully help tame that beast. My dad had one and would try to con me into shooting it off the bench to see if my "eyes" were any better than his for shooting groups.

For what you're describing, a 225 grain bullet of just about any stripe should fit the bill. I like the Hornady Interbonds in my 338, others swear by Accubonds, Barnes, etc. It's really more about what your rifle likes and how much you practice in those conditions.

Thanks for the info. I have been shooting reloads my brother loaded but he stopped hunting and reloading recently. Free was a very good price.

I will try the off the shelf ammo suggested above. If can not get good groups with that ammo will look for someone I can trust to reload.

My .338 shoots tighter groups at 300 than my .308 or .25-06. That is why I began using it for deer.

Another one to try is Hornady Superformance in 200 gr SST. If your rifle likes it, the deer definitely will not.

For deer only and +/- 300yds, I'd definitely lean towards the 200gr Ballistic Silvertip. Plus, if you reload a slightly faster powder can can cut down the recoil and not give up too many fps. I have a good recipe with R15 that is very mild mannered yet works very well.

You are wayyyyyyyyyyy over gunned for anything besides a T-Rex. You should be shooting a 100 grain partition out of a .243 for everything in North America, right buzz and 1_point?1?!?!

JK! Couldn't resist :)

+1 on the accubond's or silver tips, I'm a huge fan of both.
How much "energy" equates to overgunned? I know the deer/pronghorn I've shot with my 338 were the same level of dead as ones shot with less "energy"... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back