Antelope Rut

Wis_sharpshooter

I’ve bow hunted antelope in region 3 of MT a couple times now. Once I felt like we hit the rut prefect at the very end of September and the other I didn’t see any rut action in the middle of September . Whats the general opinion on when antelope generally rut? Thanks

I've found Pronghorn rut to be more difficult to pin down than other ungulates. Last half of September is when I've seen best action.

The last time I hunted antelope in Wyoming was Oct 1 2018, there was plenty of rutting going on. In fact, the goat my buddy got, won the fight against a different buck, then ran over to my buddy with the doe, where he was not as successful going up against a .270. Both of the antelope we shot had breaks in the horn I would guess from rutting.

Third week of September in central Wyoming last year the bucks were rutting hard all day the whole week I was out on the prairie.

Seems that I see plenty of rut behavior (fighting/chasing/corralling) by mid-September in MT, if not earlier. I have no experience with other states, and I hunt exclusively during the archery-only season unless I draw a doe tag too. In the past when I did rifle hunt bucks, I can't recall ever seeing rutting behavior after the MT opener which I think is usually the second week of October.

I’ve bow hunted antelope in region 3 of MT a couple times now. Once I felt like we hit the rut prefect at the very end of September and the other I didn’t see any rut action in the middle of September . Whats the general opinion on when antelope generally rut? Thanks
And what is the timeframe for peak of rut?

Back