antelope hunt timing question

Paisano

ok, this is my first post ever anywhere so here goes, I'm looking for a little advice from the pronghorn junkies out there. I've made a few "on your own" trips west before but never an antelope trip. I'm pretty sure my buddy and I can draw a rifle tag in central Wyoming this year if we play the game right. I've read that, in some areas, the first few days of the season can be crazy with hunters everywhere and later in the season, you barely see another soul. I'd like to know what you guys think about trying to hunt the first week of the season and take a crack at unpressured antelope? Is it worth putting up with lots of other hunters? If you wait three or four weeks into the season, would you expect the antelope to be so skiddish that it would be much more difficult to close the deal?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I also want to say that I really appreciate this forum and this show. It has been very educational for me. With a little planning and budgeting, regular folks can live a dream. Thanks to OYOA for sticking to their roots!

It all depends on what you want out of your hunt. While hunting opening day might give you a good shot at an unsuspecting antelope, it might be less of an experience.

My opinion is if you just want to KILL an antelope, go opening day, If you want to HUNT an antelope and have a good experience, go later.

However, if you are able to scout before the season and find the one you want, you may be able to shoot a lope at first light and bypass the opening day mayhem.

Go the second week and there will be plenty of animals and about the only people you will see for the most part is a few residents. The 14 1/2" buck I shot in 2009 on BLM was within a few days of the end of the season and I didn't see any other hunters. Even if you want to go for a bigger buck than average I would still say to skip the first week or so of the season if you don't want to see a lot of orange.

Back