Another year another Wyoming Whiff

It all depends on what you mean by "same hunt" doesn't it?

If all that mattered was whacking an elk, it would definitely be a different story. But some people don't hunt just to kill something, and sometimes one wants to hunt places because of the place, and for reasons you can't really imagine.
Sorry you can’t go hunting everywhere you want to I guess? That’s true for everyone last I checked. You can hike, camp, and recreate there I bet.
The irony is that Brent is the first person in line complaining about tag fees every year too.

Its always been a strange thing to see the tags that people wait a long time for. So much changes over 5-10-15 years in those units and its usually not for the better. I always seem to want to ask if it was worth sitting on the sidelines for a decade plus when they could have had 3, 4, 5 tags in that same time frame? Some states you don't have options, but WY is one state you do.

I suppose its no different than even some of the place I still hunt even though the quality has declined...hunting on memories and maybe the unrealistic thought that it might become the good old days again.

The savvy hunters have no attachment to places that stop producing...

For me, it’s just having other things to do and living a long way from Western hunting. I did hiking with a rifle one time, years ago, in Colorado. I didn’t like that experience and have tried to make all my non resident hunts a high quality experience ever since.

It all depends on what you mean by "same hunt" doesn't it?

If all that mattered was whacking an elk, it would definitely be a different story. But some people don't hunt just to kill something, and sometimes one wants to hunt places because of the place, and for reasons you can't really imagine.

When I think of the dozens of places I have hunted elk in Wyoming, not one comes to mind that wasn't "special". A few were good for outstanding bulls, some tons of bulls, while others just a good place to get some meat. All were special.

If you could imagine the rut with elk bugling nonstop, herd bulls growling their brains out, going to bed with a constant bugle in your mind and high and wild country, than it's time too quit complaining about not drawing a tag.

I have played the pts game in several states over 30 years and will now have 15 pts in Wyoming getting older and next year dumping them and going hunting see some new country. Good luck to everyone this fall

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back