Another year another Wyoming Whiff

You just have to factor in the point creep in your application. I gave myself a few points cushion for Colorado deer. I picked a hunt I should draw, even with creep. Who knows? I might be the one crying when the Colorado draws come out.

Just watching the certain unit that I keep applying for on the app numbers in a non res special pool, a guy thinks he has a chance the following year as it seems like the points right a head of me 50% of them get allocated tags. So a guy would hope the remainder would be the first ones to pull the next year, leaving some of the quota for people to start drawing in your point pool. Unfortunately there seems to be a good amount of people with high points that seem to jump in and apply for the tag that they haven't tried for before. That on top of the point creep is tough the watch.

Pretty bummed yesterday, today is better knowing I have a Montana big game combo in my pocket and really good draw odds for Wyo deer. It should allow me to get another year of scouting in that unit while hunting deer. Ive done 8 years of that so when I do draw the tag I will feel fairly ready to get on elk there.

Will be hunting WY again this year for the 6th time in the last 10 years. 3 LE tags and 3 gen tags. As has been stated in the thread if you're sitting on a lot of WY points, you're just choosing not to hunt and really missing the point... which is to hunt a great state as often as possible. So many guys hold out for what they think is some great tag, then shoot an average bull after waiting forever when they could have shot 1/2 dozen good bulls in that same time frame. There is no tag worth not hunting!

That’s some tough math there but yes, I agree the creep won’t stop anyone soon.

And what that means is that any place that you do not have enough points to hunt now, you will never have enough points to hunt. That place is pretty much off limits permanently.

You know what they say about people that "assume". But so be it. Think what you want. I don't really care.
So what is your application strategy? And why is it Wyoming’s fault every year when it doesn’t work?

Brent, getting a little too aggressive with the apps? Conservative means tags in the pocket.

And what that means is that any place that you do not have enough points to hunt now, you will never have enough points to hunt. That place is pretty much off limits permanently.
The “tough math“ was just a jab at Buzz after I said I hunted in 2010 and applied every year but can’t draw the same tag. His comment about having 6 or 7 points now was the joke. Anyhow, both you and Buzz and I are all correct. There are opportunities to hunt if want them, point creep is real, and I may not catch it in Wyoming for the same hunt I would like.

I dont know where in Wyoming you are trying to draw but, with 10 points in area 7 I drew an elk tag last year and 10 years prior I drew in same area.

And what that means is that any place that you do not have enough points to hunt now, you will never have enough points to hunt.
That isn't true at all. You don't understand point creep at all.

For the units that require max points to draw or even max points minus 1 or 2, yes your statement is basically true.

I dont know where in Wyoming you are trying to draw but, with 10 points in area 7 I drew an elk tag last year and 10 years prior I drew in same area.
I'm sitting at 10 points now and would like to know how your unit 7 hunts went. Thanks Dan.

I'm sitting at 10 points now and would like to know how your unit 7 hunts went. Thanks Dan.
I was successful both times Dan. If you need any info let me know.

Attachments

• AD3FDE71-4187-4B78-A3FE-9A4762EA6B93.jpeg
    AD3FDE71-4187-4B78-A3FE-9A4762EA6B93.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 28D1B2F4-3F42-490A-8223-7F7F1E17768B.jpeg
    28D1B2F4-3F42-490A-8223-7F7F1E17768B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The “tough math“ was just a jab at Buzz after I said I hunted in 2010 and applied every year but can’t draw the same tag. His comment about having 6 or 7 points now was the joke. Anyhow, both you and Buzz and I are all correct. There are opportunities to hunt if want them, point creep is real, and I may not catch it in Wyoming for the same hunt I would like.
You can right now get the "same hunt" or better with what points you should have. You're just hung up on an area number.

Its always been a strange thing to see the tags that people wait a long time for. So much changes over 5-10-15 years in those units and its usually not for the better. I always seem to want to ask if it was worth sitting on the sidelines for a decade plus when they could have had 3, 4, 5 tags in that same time frame? Some states you don't have options, but WY is one state you do.

I suppose its no different than even some of the place I still hunt even though the quality has declined...hunting on memories and maybe the unrealistic thought that it might become the good old days again.

The savvy hunters have no attachment to places that stop producing...

It all depends on what you mean by "same hunt" doesn't it?

If all that mattered was whacking an elk, it would definitely be a different story. But some people don't hunt just to kill something, and sometimes one wants to hunt places because of the place, and for reasons you can't really imagine.

It all depends on what you mean by "same hunt" doesn't it?

If all that mattered was whacking an elk, it would definitely be a different story. But some people don't hunt just to kill something, and sometimes one wants to hunt places because of the place, and for reasons you can't really imagine.

True and you have no way of knowing what the "other places" are like if you don't ever hunt there. I've been pleasantly surprised hunting places where I drew tags that I had never hunted before. I have also been pretty disappointed with tags I really wanted and discovered only after having hunted them, it wasn't really what I had in mind. Many times the hype/expectations/preconceived notions, do not live up to the reality.

They're all just experiences, and you'll never know until you actually hunt. I'd take a marginal tag and experience over riding the pine and not hunting though. Each one is exactly what you want to make of them.

You don't experience either good or bad, sitting on your ass with no tags...

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back