MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Another year another Wyoming Whiff

BrentD

Yet again, we swing and miss in Wyoming. And here my knees are both going to be freshened up and as good as they will ever be again.

:( sad news in Iowa. :(

Im right there with you. although I sort of swung for the fence with my draw since I didnt even know if the dates would have worked with my schedule.

I'm not sure that a great solution exists when demand far exceeds supply. If you struck out for 15 straight years in a random draw, you'd be just as unhappy.

Plenty of second choice type 4 options that would have gotten people out in the elk woods while still building points.

Also important to note that most of the people who drew "your" tag today have been waiting longer than you have. Should you draw before them?

It is always a bit frustrating when we don't draw, but there is always next year or OTC............... I also did not draw in Wyoming again. (Or NM or AZ) I figured I would draw in Wyoming or New Mexico, so my Colorado application was a long shot and I will probalby only get a preference point there. It looks like I might do OTC this year, but I promise it will still be a good time out West.

No tags for me either. I just sent their money back to them though for deer and pronghorn tags. Hopefully they'll keep some of it this time, lol!

My BIL and 5 of his extended family drew Type 4 tags though, I think I'll go along with them. It's in a unit I've hunted before, and none of them have ever hunted elk.

Brent, I asked about your strategy because you could probably elk hunt if you wanted to. Were you trying for a unit that you didn’t have the points for? I understand throwing a Hail Mary. When I burn my elk points, it’ll be for a quality hunt. You might feel the same way.
I’ve hunted Wyoming three times and killed an elk, Muley, and antelope. Hard to complain about that. And snuck in some world class fly fishing.

I drew an archery elk tag in unit 38 in the Big Horns with 4pts and killed my first bull as an NR in 2010. I couldn't draw that tag last year a second time after applying every year since. Point creep is what it is...but it is real. I guess I am signing up for the pain however sooner or later (as an optimist) you hope the point creep will stop.

Last edited:
I drew an archery elk tag in unit 38 in the Big Horns with 4pts and killed my first bull as an NR in 2010. I couldn't draw that tag last year a second time after applying every year since. Point creep is what it is...but it is real. I guess I am signing up for the pain however sooner or later (as an optimist) you hope the point creep will stop.
Point creep is terrible... every year for the last couple I think Im going to pull a tag but every year im still out of the mix. Its tough, sticking with the choice to hold out for the tag that I started off buying points for in the first place. Not going to burn double digit points on a general but again thats my choice.

So that would mean you probably have, what, 6-7 points currently?

I would guess you have well over 10K of your best NR buddies that have more points than you...and another 3-4k in your current pool.

Point creep isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back