Another Which Cartridge Poll

Which cartridge for an all purpose rifle for my sons?

• Total voters
Near Middlebury
Have you tried looking at Dataglios in South Burlington? They sometimes hold on to ammo when others are out. If you get desperate, let me know. I have about half a box of Federal Premium 140 NBT's that you could have. At least they'd get you out hunting.. I live across the lake, in the Westport(ish) area and I sometimes hunt with my son over in your area.

Have you tried looking at Dataglios in South Burlington? They sometimes hold on to ammo when others are out. If you get desperate, let me know. I have about half a box of Federal Premium 140 NBT's that you could have. At least they'd get you out hunting.. I live across the lake, in the Westport(ish) area and I sometimes hunt with my son over in your area.
Thanks! I haven't checked datillios yet. Worth a shot. And thanks for offering to help me!

If you lived in PA, i'd tell ya to bring your rifle & fired cases to my place and we'd work up some hand loads for you.
But your kinda GU (Geographically Undesirable) for that to happen. ;)

Hello. I have been looking for months for 7mm-08 ammo locally and nothing except Barnes vor-tx for $55/box. Any suggestions or places to check? I am located in the rural northeast and we don't have any sportsman stores other than dick's which is just about useless these days. Thanks
Rural northeast is a bit vague. I lived in Upstate NY most my life and they have several Sportsmans now that used to be the Dick's Field and Stream brand stores. Also outside of Syracuse NY is a Bass Pro. I know NY stinks as you can't have ammo shipped there from online retailers.

Good luck in your search, sounds like you need to take a field trip.

Rural northeast is a bit vague. I lived in Upstate NY most my life and they have several Sportsmans now that used to be the Dick's Field and Stream brand stores. Also outside of Syracuse NY is a Bass Pro. I know NY stinks as you can't have ammo shipped there from online retailers.

Good luck in your search, sounds like you need to take a field trip.
Thanks Rich. I'm located in central Vermont. No sportsman's warehouse, Scheels or anything like that here. I've been checking the local gun shops but no luck other than the Barnes I mentioned above. In hindsight I wish I had stocked up a bit more when prices and inventory levels were normal. It's just surprising that I have found no one online that has any in stock other than the gougers on GunBroker. I'll keep looking..

Never met someone who enjoyed shooting a 7mm-mag.
Who do you hang out with? I like shooting them all. I guess I'm just a masochist.

Having said that-
@Gerald Martin - Get the 7mm-08. I seem to remember there are other "small framed" hunters coming up in your family as well. I have a few belted caliber rifles in my safe that my granddaughter won't shoot. (I'm looking at a 7mm-08 Weatherby Camilla for her.)

Buy for where they now. I have three sons in their 30's who love to shoot my rifles, but only one is still a hunter.

Does anyone have concerns about a 7mm 08 retaining enough velocity to reliability expand a 140 grain monolithic bullet at 300 yards and beyond?

Also with a 9.5 twist what would be the most stable range of bullet weight?

If I dropped to a 120 grain TSX for the 7-08 would it still be adequate for elk @400?

Get closer. Teach them to be hunters and not snipers.

How close is hunting and not sniping?
I need to know before Uncle Warren brings his .50 cal over.

200 yards. The goal for a young hunter is success. The closer you get, the greater the chance of a properly placed shot. Winging shots at 400 + yards with questionably expanding bullets is asking for a gut shot/wounded and unrecoverable animals. Success = encouragement.

I know it’s been hashed out a lot but I am looking for some opinions to see if I am making the best of a good decision.

These rifles are going to be used by my two sons. My intention is to buy them a good all purpose rifle that they can use for deer, elk and antelope in that order.

Both of them are relatively experienced shooters but not high volume.
They shoot my 30-06 with confidence and accurately.

We prefer to shoot monolithic style bullets with Barnes TSX and Hornady GMX bullets our current bullet choices with my rifles.

They will be shooting factory ammo.

400 yard practical maximum distance.

Deer, elk and antelope is going to be the most pursued quarry.

Here are the rifles I am choosing between. View attachment 191960View attachment 191961View attachment 191962View attachment 191963

If you were buying for your sons would you choose this rifle in 7mm-08 or 7mmRem Mag?

One son is 14 years old, 140lbs. My other son is 16 years old, 170lbs.

Let me know your thoughts…
May suggest a "muzzle brake " to lessen recoil ! Great guns !

7mm-08 is going to be hard to beat. Just a good around caliber
My days of buying any new firearms are over, jusy done. That said the 7mm-08 will have to be my "lost love" of calibers. Over the many decades of buying,,,,and selling firearms I have missed it with two 7x57's, a 280 and now a 280AI. All that said I believe the 7mm-08 would have been the best around cartridge I could have ever owned.

For awhile I did think of rebarrellig my Sako 75 Finnlight in .308 to the 7mm-08 but the costs were just too high.

Like I said, a "lost love" caliber.

My days of buying any new firearms are over, jusy done. That said the 7mm-08 will have to be my "lost love" of calibers. Over the many decades of buying,,,,and selling firearms I have missed it with two 7x57's, a 280 and now a 280AI. All that said I believe the 7mm-08 would have been the best around cartridge I could have ever owned.

For awhile I did think of rebarrellig my Sako 75 Finnlight in .308 to the 7mm-08 but the costs were just too high.

Like I said, a "lost love" caliber.
I have a Remington 700 7mm-08 youth model I bought in 2011.every year I upgraded it to get it with something. When I get home ill post some pictures of it...its the crown jewel of my gun safe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back