Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Another Hunt... Another Bull. (WYOMING)

Moosie

Grand poopa
So... I have alot of stories, but don't have alot of time. We kept a good detail of the elk we saw, and I'll upload some more pictures later but don't want to drag out the pics like the Utah deal.. ;)

Anyway, here are some details and the Elk I got in Wyoming.

Wednesday (26th)
Morning: Left 5:30 AM. Got to camp to set up by 5PM.

Evening : Drove around to several glassing points and saw nothing. No bugles. After dark on the way back to camp saw a broken 6point (6x2).

Total Bulls: 1
Cows: 0

Thursday (27th)
Morning : Dropped down behind camp to the hole. Saw a raghead and a 6 point with 17 cows. Saw a 6 point with 16 cows in another draw pushing off a spike. Cool pics of the Antelope between the elk.
Evening : Went to new spot by chance pulled over and glassed a big bull 6x7 (Pedro). It was with 10 cows. Put a stalk on and saw one raking a tree. We called in 3 bulls. Worked the bulls till dark but no shot. Bryce was within 90 yards of “Pedro”.

Total Bulls : 4+5=9
Cows : 43

Friday (28th)
Morning : Went back in for “Pedro” and couldn’t find him right off. Looked down a canyon and had a 6 point sneak in behind us and bust us. Tried to set up and it went up the hill and saw Pedro and 6 other bulls. We only saw 5 cows that morning. Elk got spooked and we got within 60 yards of 3 bulls going through the trees. Probably ones in that group or the 3 from the night before.
Evening : Valley of the Rag’s. Called in 6 Point from Rocks. Tried to get a Shot, got busted. Saw 4 across canyon. Crossed over saw 2 at the bottom. Drew on the bulls but no shot.

Total Bulls : 7+7=14
Cows : 5

Saturday (29th)
Morning : Back to the Valley of the “Rag’s”. Found Wallow called in 3 bulls. Drew on the bulls. Bryce Called in 2 more bulls later (Spike, 5 point) (Spike, 4point, 5 point). I tried drawing my bow back at 20 yards and got busted. No Bugles.
Evening : Went to the “Tubs”, jumped one bull . Saw cool 1x4 buck. Snowed 4” that night.

Total Bulls 6+1=7
Cows : 0

Sunday (30th)
Morning : Tried to go to Valley of the “RAG’S”. To Snowy and Foggy so went to town. Got supplies at Walmart.
Evening : Back to the Valley of the Rag’s. Called in a Spike and cows. Heard the cow calls but never saw them. Called the spike right in. On the way out on the road saw a 5x6 Bull. Buzz showed up.

Total Bulls: 0+2=2
Cows: 0

Monday (1st)
Morning : “Pedro Flats”. Saw migration tracks/trail heading to lower country. No other tracks. Drove to town to gas up. Glassed in several places and drove around to look at new country. Saw easy 20 cows near road, 1, 6 point bull. Tried to figure out if it was public or private and by the time we figured out it was public the elk moved on.
Evening : Upper “Valley of the Rags”. Buzz spotted a 5 point. Bryce spotted a 5 point. Jumped 3, five points. Heard Bugle and called. 2 bulls came in lower in canyon. 6 point on top. 3 rag heads. Shot the 6 point. Bryce passed the lower 6 point. Lot’s of cool video. (Saw other elk far way off on Private so we’re not counting them).

Total Bulls: 1+11=12
Cows: 20

Tuesday (2nd)

Morning : Buzz left.Upper Valley of the Rags. Saw 2 other hunters. Called in 4 cows and a 4x5 and got some good close footage. Saw 8 more bulls. 2 5 point, 7x6, 5 point, another 6, and 6 point and a 5 point.
Evening : Dropped off to “6 Point Wallow”. Glassed over to P’Hill 3 Bulls Lots of cows.

Total Bulls: 8+3=11
Cows: 4

Wednesday (3rd)

Morning : Rag Valley. Saw 2-5 points, 1 small 6 point, a 6 & 5 point across the valley, Spike on the road while we were talking to a guy on a 4-wheeler.

Evening : Chky Mtn. No bulls. Glassed in evening P’hill 1-5 point with 6 cows. Driving back saw 2 spikes. Further up the road a 4,5,&6 point. Bryce put the stalk on but 6 was to small. Got within 40 yards.

Total Bulls: 6+6=12
Cows:6

Thursday (4th)

Morning : Glassing from road. Saw one right at daylight. Dropped into C-wood. Saw and videoed an ugly 4x5.

Evening : Back into C-wood. Called in 2 cows and a spike. Later called in a Spike and got Great video footage within 5 yards. Glassed across the valley and saw 12 total bulls with a 5x6 being the biggest and one group had 5 bulls together with 2 about 100 yards up from them.

Total Bulls: 2+14=16
Cows: 2

Friday (5th)

Morning : Killed 2 Antelope.
Evening : Drove home.

Running total (Up until Thursday Evening).
Bulls: 84
Cows: 80

All in All we saw about 94 Bull elk in 10 days. Not to bad of a hunt ;)

8088.jpg

8108.jpg

8095.jpg

8092.jpg

More pictures, stories, and video's later in the week.......

Thanks for the quick recap. Another real nice bull man, congrats. You saw more bulls in 10 days than I've seen in the last 10 years. Does the season go any longer and is IB planning a return?

IB might return. Time will tell. I spent 4 days with him for the Archery season and 4 days after I got mine. I would love to go back with him if he goes but I'm already eating tags this year due to lack of time. (YAh, I know... poor me .. ;) )

He saw several good bulls but nothing he wanted durring the rifle season. On opening day of Rifle we had a couple good bulls around us. You won't believe me till we upload the Video but after looking at the bulls, I was going to kill the closer of the bulls, the smaller one, and he was gonig to kill the bigger one. (Or so I/we thought at first). He still hadn't decided to take the bigger one yet but he got the camcorder on mine and I hammered it. Grabbed the Cam corder from him and instead of killing his Elk, He grabbed the Spotter and wanted to make sure..... after a couple mins of looking, having Buzz look the elk over, and them him one more time, he passed the elk. We then had that one on film and 3 others (all 5 points) come within 50 yards or less of us. There were elk every were that night.

We figured my elk to be around 285-290(ish) but it's closer to 270". Unfortunately it was probably one of the larger bulls we saw durring the 10 day hunt. You might not believe that after watching all the good bulls IDB called in durring the Bow season, but it's true.

We covered alot of ground. We hunted high and low. We hunted in places people said you need horses to get into.. (Pansy ass's). I do have to say all the Wyoming Hunters we saw and talked to never got out of the Truck or off the 4-wheelers. I'm not dissing WY hunters... but the ones we talked to talked about "NO ELK", Blah blah blah.... Only one 4-wheeler hunter said "That's an OK bull, we killed 4 just like it last year". He was probably a 4-wheel hunting expert :eek:

Some guys got lucky though, we saw a few Raggies hanging in some camps and heard of a couple "BIG UN'S" coming out of the area but never saw proof. Maybe we just hunted to hard and should have stayed on the road.....:confused: I do have to say one night we did drive the roads the last 1/2 hour of the daylight and saw 2 spikes and a 4,5, and 6-point bulls, so I guess it's not needed to actually leave the road.

I took a couple Doe lopes but don't have any pics on my camera. IDB has them. they were fun to shoot...... Uhhhh once, but not sure I'd ever mess with hunting doe lopes again. Unless the meat is REALLY REALLY good. We'll find out after it comes back from the proccessors... but I'm guessing not :p

Sweet! Nice bull! Definitely a fatty...the bull not you. ;)

Sounds like a great hunt. Don't give up on the pronghorn that easy...for some odd reason I just love to chase those critters.

Moosie, that is a great hunt. Dang nice bull in my book. I liked the updates by your son. He did a great job.

Id B. must have some great patience to hold out like that. My hats off to both of you. Thanks for the story and pics. Can't wait to see the video.

I leave for my Wyoming elk hunt this Friday and you have got me excited.:)

We covered alot of ground. We hunted high and low. We hunted in places people said you need horses to get into.. (Pansy ass's). I do have to say all the Wyoming Hunters we saw and talked to never got out of the Truck or off the 4-wheelers. I'm not dissing WY hunters... but the ones we talked to talked about "NO ELK", Blah blah blah.... Only one 4-wheeler hunter said "That's an OK bull, we killed 4 just like it last year". He was probably a 4-wheel hunting expert :eek:

So far I have found this to be the case in any state. It seems that Mules, Horses and ATV's can be the worst thing a guy can take hunting because for some, it makes them even less motivated to get off of them. I think no matter where you go there will always be the hikers and the riders, and we all know who usually sees more game.
Good Job Moosie, But no offence, I had my fingers crossed for IB even more for putting in so much time and even helping you out in UT.

Good Job Moosie, But no offence, I had my fingers crossed for IB even more for putting in so much time and even helping you out in UT.

I talked to IDB a long time over this. I told him I wasn't going to Shoot anything pior to him for looking like a Greed puss or taking advantage (Per prior comments you pricks :D). I was Rooting for him too. He ALWAYS had first dibs on Any Elk we saw and I went early for him in the Bow and would have stayed as long as he needed me too for him as well. (Although both wives were putting on the pressure after 10 days ;) ) But IDB wasn't going to shoot anything under 330. And after a mutual Green light passed.... BOOM :D

Usual rule is whoever spots it first get's first dibs... and since he saw them ALL first... he would have had dibs anyways.. ;) But seriously, even after I shot my elk I spent 4 days brushing, glassing and Cuttleing with him for support. Thats how we roll, help each other out :D

T'was a great hunt. I could have held out the first day and passed, but I would have come home empty handed or with a lot less of a bull. We all have to decide when to drop the hammer and/or call it quits and I am very happy, Even with a "dink sub 300 bench mark" class bull :p

Thanks for the Kudos. The year isn't over yet, Although for Elk it pretty much is for me. Like I said, we all have to decide when to drop the hammer or call it quits and right now I have some home time to make up before I leave for Deer ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back