Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Another dandy hits the dirt!!!

thecrittergitter

Man my taxidermy bill is getting out of control this year;)
Well, this was one of the trips I'll never forget. My first antelope hunt with my two boys! My good buddy Brian Broyels and I headed out to eastern Montana with Braden and Dustin to see if we could put the hammer on a nice speed goat. And even though I knew it would be great, it went even better than planned:)
We started off early Saturday morning and jumped on the wheelers to head out to a drainage a few miles out. We weren't even 15 minutes out and Braden, my oldest son, spotted some lopes about 400 yards out. Kid is gonna be a force to reckon with when he gets a weapon in hand!
We jumped off to take a look but nothing too special in the first group for good bucks. However, game faces were on and ready to find something better:)

picture.php

So we packed up and headed out a few more miles to get up to a good glassing spot. Right away we noticed a couple groups of lopes across the canyon. I was really hoping for a 75+ inch goat or better if possible and with only 1 day, knew it might be a tough one to pull off. Course with the way my year has shaken out so far, I guess anything is possible:)LOL
We decided the ones across the canyon didn't have any shooters in there so we packed up and headed a little farther out. The boys were loving the heck out of the hunting but were having as much fun riding the wheelers when they could too:)

picture.php

picture.php

Finally we got to another spot where we could overlook a little creek bottom that Brian said usually holds a bunch of lopes. Right away we spotted a group of bucks and got the spotter set up. I got it set up and found there was a dandy in the group, one I was thinking would be the one to get my tag attached to it. However, glassing off to the south, I glassed up another buck bedded out there. It was very apparent that this was a really cool looking buck as he was bedded facing away, I could see his prongs were long and really flared out. So this buck earned the name "Flare"........The boys wanted to study up on flare and the others so they could tell me which one I should shoot:) LOL

picture.php

Braden decided right away that he liked Flare the best but I was having a hard time telling if he was actually as good as the big guy in the group of 8.

Since it was only about 11 am, we decided we would head to a couple other drainages and look them over and come back to this spot later in the day and if I hadn't found a better one by then, we would take a crack at Flare or the Big Fella in the group of bucks. After another hour or so of no lopes in sight, we took a little lunch break...
After a little lunch break we figured we better head out and find us a loper!

We packed up, played around on the wheeler a bit and headed back where we saw the lopers in the morning. When we got back to the spot we had seen Flare and the other bucks, we spotted a huge hillside we couldn't see before and there were lopers all over it. We started glassing them up and found all the bucks from before............except Flare. I really wanted to take a closer look at him so I again passed on an opportunity to shoot the Big Guy with the group of 8.

picture.php

picture.php

The Big Guy was getting more tempting, the longer I looked at him, he is the center buck in the last picture...... After about another hour of searching, we finally found Flare again. And although I think that the big guy was a slightly better buck score wise, my boys were really liking ol Flare and wanted to try for him instead.

Last edited:
I told Braden we would get a closer look and make a final decision. So, Brian and I made a plan to circle the timber patch above the goats and come in from the top. We made the loop and about 30 min later I picked up ol Flare in the spotter.....

picture.php

I hit the rangefinder on him and hit at 640 yards. From this range I could see that he was quite a bit bigger than I originally thought and there would be no question I would take this buck.
We made a game plan and Braden and I made a sneak on him while Brian and Dustin stayed back and watched in the spotter.........

picture.php

Braden and I made a perfect stalk and ol Flare never even got to get out of that bed he was in. The new rifle has connected with a third trophy for the year!

picture.php

As we walked up to him, he kept growing. Brian and I started thinking that this buck may just be an 80" lope! What an awesome antelope, clearly one of the top I have seen in MT and definitely my best antelope to date!

picture.php

picture.php

What an EPIC day! Was just awesome getting to hunt with my good friend Brian since he has moved and don't see him much anymore, and have my boys with me on their first antelope hunt. Just doesn't get much better than this!

picture.php

The whole crew, Me, Brian, Dustin, Braden.............and ol Flare! 2012 is one for the books! With the initial tape on him, it looks like Flare is about an inch short of 80" but a dang good one and the character makes up for it!!

picture.php

Mossback aint got nothin on this group photo:D lol

All I can say is WOW....nice buck and congrat's!!!! Sharing that experience with a friend and your boys....can't get much better than that!

I shouldn't say this.... but that is a pretty lope. Congratulations and way to share it with the kids. That is cool. Ed F

Way cool! Great looking buck! Taking the kiddos adds a whole new definition of fun. I think mine enjoys riding the wheeler moreso than the actuall hunting as well and in fact asked this weekend that I buy one. He said he'd even give me his "pennies" to help out with the cost... :D

I can only imagine what you're spending on your wife for Xmas... ;)

Jesus Critter do any of the big animals get by you? Looks like the kids had a great time with dad!

That is a great buck, Critter. Congrats. Who wouldn't shoot a buck with prongs like that?

Even with such a good buck, I am more impressed with how much time your kids get to spend in the field with you. Anyone who has taken young ones into the field knows the added complications of that. They seem to be having a blast in every picture you post. The investment you are making will come back in spades, for you, and for all of us hunters.

Way cool! Great looking buck!
I can only imagine what you're spending on your wife for Xmas... ;)

She is getting an antelope, wolf, sheep, griz bear, black bear rug, and elk mount in her living room, what else could she want:);)

I might add that is in HER new house:)

She is getting an antelope, wolf, sheep, griz bear, black bear rug, and elk mount in her living room, what else could she want:);)

I might add that is in HER new house:)
The last sentence makes things a bit more clear. :D I hope you have the potential locations for taxidermy in writing! :D I didn't get that done so now they are hidden in the room where I impersonate Magic Mike. :eek:

The last sentence makes things a bit more clear. :D I hope you have the potential locations for taxidermy in writing! :D I didn't get that done so now they are hidden in the room where I impersonate Magic Mike. :eek:

LMAO! If I have to do the Magic Mike in the living room..............so be it. The heads are going there:hump:

Wow, critter, what a nice antelope buck! My hats off to you ... again ... but moreso for taking the boys with you. What a great first hunt for them.

My son, Jeff, started antelope hunting with me annually at age six. He scared off many antelope by chasing rabbits across the field with rocks or his BB gun, but we always had a great time ... hunting, hiking, and camping at the old "owl barn".

This will undoubtedly be the first of many such adventures for you and your boys. Keep up the great hunts. Your actions highlight the best of the hunting tradition.

What a cool looking buck. I'm guessing those kids are going to be hunters. Congrats!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back