MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Annual pronghorn elation/sadness/confusion thread

You gotta believe at some point people will start to say "what are we doing to ourselves for 40 pounds of butchered meat?" and point creep will end right?

The meat is great, but, personally, I'm after the adventure. I won't lie to myself and pretend I'm a "meat hunter", I'm not, meat is a bi-product of me going on hunts. I like to chase wild critters and try to shoot the biggest one I can or a good representation for the unit/zone I am hunting. As a Canadian, our dollar is much lower, at any given time, I pay between 1.30 to 1.40 CAD for 1 USD. I apply in several states and in Wyoming do apply in the special draw some years. I spend a whole lot of money for these crazy adventures, this is the same reason why I joined the army, I joined to do crazy shit, and crazy shit I have done! At the end of my life, I won't look back on the X amount of meat I yielded from my kills, I'll look back at all those wicked adventures I've been on!

Congrats! This will be a GREAT first antelope hunt for you, much better than most of us got the first time around.
It turned out to be a great adventure! Had two stellar opportunities the first day, pulled the trigger, and watched the 'lopes run for about two miles, no evidence what-so-ever that the bullet hit anything. Threw out a frozen milk jug at 100 yards, missed three straight shots high. Got to looking a little closer, loose scope base. Switched to my back up rifle, which I'm not quite as confident with. Didn't take another shot until 6pm on the third day. Broadside, dropped like a box of rocks! From trigger, to parted out and on ice, two hours. Got him back home and butchered, and the meat is great. Ended up with about 35lbs of meat, with about 4 pounds of back fat/bacon ends and pieces ground in with the good stuff. Have about four meals worth of antelope under my belt, and I have no idea what people complain about. It is outstanding, and is wonderful with just a little salt and pepper. Nothing "gamey" about it. Also, hunting the 4th-5th week of the season worked out great. There were a few other people out there, but I think they were mostly folks doing a little deer pre-scouting. Gonna be hard not to do it again!

It turned out to be a great adventure! Had two stellar opportunities the first day, pulled the trigger, and watched the 'lopes run for about two miles, no evidence what-so-ever that the bullet hit anything. Threw out a frozen milk jug at 100 yards, missed three straight shots high. Got to looking a little closer, loose scope base. Switched to my back up rifle, which I'm not quite as confident with. Didn't take another shot until 6pm on the third day. Broadside, dropped like a box of rocks! From trigger, to parted out and on ice, two hours. Got him back home and butchered, and the meat is great. Ended up with about 35lbs of meat, with about 4 pounds of back fat/bacon ends and pieces ground in with the good stuff. Have about four meals worth of antelope under my belt, and I have no idea what people complain about. It is outstanding, and is wonderful with just a little salt and pepper. Nothing "gamey" about it. Also, hunting the 4th-5th week of the season worked out great. There were a few other people out there, but I think they were mostly folks doing a little deer pre-scouting. Gonna be hard not to do it again!
congrats. Took a couple doe in 69 and a buck next door this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back