Caribou Gear

Ankle support

peterk1234

Hi all,

Been trying to find information on the following question, but not having much luck. Looking for a boot that provides legit ankle support for my wife. Kenetrek makes one but only in men's sizes, and her feet are too small to fit any of them. She has rolled and fractured her left ankle three times over the pat five years. Anybody here dealing or has dealt with similar problems? Would any legitimate 8 inch plus cuff leather hunting boot do the trick? Anything else we should be considering?

Thanks Pete

I would consider a lightweight brace that you can use with most any boot. I had surgery on my ankle last year for an old injury that didn’t heal right the first time. The doctor gave me a lightweight brace that I used last fall with my hunting boots leading up to the surgery and last spring after I got my cast off with my work boots and tennis shoes. It felt supportive but also very comfortable. I’m at work but can try to find out which brace it is when I get home tonight.

What type(s) of break? From rolling over, impact, or other?

I have no cartilage left in my ankle, tremendously unstable particularly on side hills. I wear Kenetreks, copy your wife’s feet are to small. Kenetrek also has a brace that works very well for me. I hunt in hells canyon and spend summers guiding/ wading in Alaska. I’ve tried every ankle brace out there the Kenetrek is the best I’ve used for serious country. I don’t know if they make one small enough but worth checking out. Best piece of 100 dollar equipment I own.

Another thought, I had to do this for years, learn to correctly tape an ankle, like ball players do. Worked for me but I was always trying to get extra days out of it. Can get pretty stinky and lead to other problems. Your wife’s injury sounds pretty serious, might be worth a try.

Hi all,

Been trying to find information on the following question, but not having much luck. Looking for a boot that provides legit ankle support for my wife. Kenetrek makes one but only in men's sizes, and her feet are too small to fit any of them. She has rolled and fractured her left ankle three times over the pat five years. Anybody here dealing or has dealt with similar problems? Would any legitimate 8 inch plus cuff leather hunting boot do the trick? Anything else we should be considering?

Thanks Pete
Look for a brace. Kenetrek sells one, but I don’t think they make it so you may have to search a little on brand (malleotrain I think). Lots of highend stuff. You could check with an orthopedic or foot dr. There is always athletic tape. But I found applying that to your own feet correctly is almost impossible.

Being and ankle expert. My right ankle is fused together and pinned. Been that way for 20 years. My ankle only bends up and down , so lateral at all. I go thru boots and shoes because I cant roll my ankle. This season I bought the Kennetrek Guide boots recuse they offer way better support. There the best I have used. Theyt should be able to size your wife??

I’ve had foot/ankle issues due to being genetically flat footed, leading me to roll both feet a lot in high school/college.
highly recommend this

Last edited:
I have severely sprained my ankles multiple times from high school on, and at this point the ligaments are pretty stretched. I like tall stiff boots for ankle support. I wear the women’s Kennetrek Mountain Extremes when I’m worried about the terrain. Have worn them hunting Montana and Alaska in some really steep stuff and they’ve been great for me.

What type(s) of break? From rolling over, impact, or other?
Rolling the ankles. She is also dealing with painful Achilles tendons in bot feet for the past nine months. She has to stretch them twice a day. This getting old business is rough.

I’ve got a similarly bad ankle due to multiple fractures, torn ligaments that were never repaired, etc. Original injury was 35 years ago, and this is what it looks like today.

7E56A280-65CB-4320-B02F-ADC763748C54.jpeg

3 completely severed ligaments and the only thing holding it together is the bone mass that has built up over time to compensate.

Anyway, I’ve been forced to become somewhat of an expert in ankle support, and I’ll second the recommendation for Kenetrek boots. I wear the Mountain Extremes and they are a good balance of support and comfort for me. The Mountain Guides are a bit stiffer, but my in-store testing led me to believe the extra support was not commensurate with the decreased comfort. But once they are properly broken in, that might not be the case. They also have an “orthopedic” version that has steel shafts that can be inserted vertically in a pocket on the outside of the boot. I tried those as well, but again, didn’t feel like the extra support was worth the decrease in comfort.

I’ve tried all variants of ankle braces and wraps, and find the ones with the cross over Velcro straps to be the most supportive. I do not, however, like wearing those under boots since they prevent me from lacing the boots down as tight as I’d like.

I’ve put a lot of miles on the Kenetreks ME’s in some pretty rough country and have yet roll an ankle in them. But I’ll give equal credit to trekking poles for saving my ankles. If your wife is not using trekking poles, I would highly advise getting some. It ensures that you are seldom in a state where that one untrustworthy joint is your sole support and single point of failure. If you’re walking without poles, that’s the case about 50% of time.

@Wildabeast That's a pretty gnarly looking ankle!! I broke mine 6 years ago while rock climbing (or falling), and I'm still dealing with it. As a matter of fact I am getting another surgery next week to hopefully alleviate some of the ongoing pain. I don't let it slow me down though. I still try and hike hard and far... and then just find a cold creek to soak it in at the end of the day.
To the original post. I would not recommend any support that affects her natural gait (as much as possible). The thing with ankles is it's the first point of contact, therefore everything upstream is affected. Next thing you know you're experiencing knee pain, then hip pain, then lower back pain. I avoid the heel inserts or the big clumsy braces, and instead opt for tape. Have her remain vigilant with daily PT... lots of stretching and balancing exercises. I really like my Salomon Quest 4d boots, but everyone will have their preference. Best of luck!!

IMG_0691.JPG

@Wildabeast That's a pretty gnarly looking ankle!! I broke mine 6 years ago while rock climbing (or falling), and I'm still dealing with it. As a matter of fact I am getting another surgery next week to hopefully alleviate some of the ongoing pain. I don't let it slow me down though. I still try and hike hard and far... and then just find a cold creek to soak it in at the end of the day.
To the original post. I would not recommend any support that affects her natural gait (as much as possible). The thing with ankles is it's the first point of contact, therefore everything upstream is affected. Next thing you know you're experiencing knee pain, then hip pain, then lower back pain. I avoid the heel inserts or the big clumsy braces, and instead opt for tape. Have her remain vigilant with daily PT... lots of stretching and balancing exercises. I really like my Salomon Quest 4d boots, but everyone will have their preference. Best of luck!!

View attachment 165257
I feel pain just looking at that!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back