Yeti GOBOX Collection

Angle or straight spotter

fishing4sanity

Just curious if you guys prefer straight or angled spotting scopes? Looking for a fairly small/light scope to carry in the backpack. Also, what power range is adequate? Looking at a 11-33x50 or a 12-40x60 as the most likely choices. However, maybe for more zoom (but more bulk/weight) a 16-48x65.

My preference from years of using a spotting scope is straight but I only use it from a vehicle or a tripod, If I were to pack a spotting scope it would be an angled one for looking up inclines and have no more than 40X with the biggest objective possible for gathering light and a sun shade is a must. A straight scope is easier to find what you want to look at.
Any higher magnification than 40 and there is to much distortion or heat waves. I think 30 power is the premium power but for low light 15 power is best in in my opinion.

I'd go angled if I was glassing up hill most of the time. Otherwise, I'd suggest good glass and a good warranty are more important.

Angled is easier on your neck if you spend lots of time glassing. If you are going to be using it mainly out of your pick up then straight would be better, otherwise I think you will prefer an angled in the long run.

You also might consider a fixed power rather than a zoom - I assume you will have binoculars along, which will cover the low end of the range. I use a Kowa angled with the long eye relief 25x eyepiece (current model is 27x). I am always amazed at how much more field of view I have on mine vs the zoom eyepieces on other scopes. My eyes are getting to the point where I would like more magnification, but I would like to go for another fixed power eyepiece of say 45x, if I can find one.

I agree with sweetnectar.

If your binos are good, you could substitute (not replace) in place of a straight spotter by throwing them up on the tripod.

In the end it's all personal preference.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back