Caribou Gear

I can’t see feces through this brick…

Hammsolo

I demand your attention! 🤡 I have a Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60 x 60 with the angled eye piece. It is crystal clear at 20, but gets fuzzy with any zoom… I know it’s not high-end glass, but it was my first better spotting scope. Is this normal? It is also heavy and awkward for packing.

I’m pondering a new scope. I want a more packable scope. Light, straight, and clear… If I was loaded I’d look at a Swaro stc-17-40x56. It’s nearly half the weight and very packable. However, I don’t have $2k laying around… maybe I have a mysterious uncle that will die soon, but I doubt it.

Any ideas? My budget will be around a K. Does my fuzzy zoom require a return?

I demand your attention! 🤡 I have a Leupold SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60 x 60 with the angled eye piece. It is crystal clear at 20, but gets fuzzy with any zoom… I know it’s not high-end glass, but it was my first better spotting scope. Is this normal? It is also heavy and awkward for packing.

I’m pondering a new scope. I want a more packable scope. Light, straight, and clear… If I was loaded I’d look at a Swaro stc-17-40x56. It’s nearly half the weight and very packable. However, I don’t have $2k laying around… maybe I have a mysterious uncle that will die soon, but I doubt it.

Fuzzy is certainly reason for return.

I’ll go pick one up. If I win you get one too! I don’t know if I’ve ever bought one…

Buy Used. Glass does not wear out from looking through it. Buying new glass is sorta crazy in my opinion. Ebay is your friend.

Some of the used Nikons in 50 or 60mm objective lenses may fit your bill perfectly for well under your budget.

Buy Used. Glass does not wear out from looking through it. Buying new glass is sorta crazy in my opinion. Ebay is your friend.

Some of the used Nikons in 50 or 60mm objective lenses may fit your bill perfectly for well under your budget.

Good advice here.
I have bought several used Swarovski products for less than new Vortex costs.

That’s the way to go imo

It doesn’t wear out, but there were some big steps in lens coatings and in the ability to properly align lenses. I couldn’t tell you exactly when those happened for which companies, but I would generally recommend buying something from around 2000 or newer.

Last edited:
Good advice here.
I have bought several used Swarovski products for less than new Vortex costs.

That’s the way to go imo
My only used experience was on this board - reticle broke on the third shot. Leupold is replacing it, but not with the 4X (was wanting the lower power and smaller scope for my vintage rifle, but the 3-9 will be fine).

Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60mm.
I got mine as a Like New Demo for under a grand. 12” long and weighs less than 2.5 lb.

Same glass they use in the SX-5s. No it’s not alpha glass, but it’s significantly better than the SX-4 that it replaced.

I’ve been very pleased with it.

This is a great scope, I just bought the Swarovski ATX 95 and won't be needing this...

What year is it? I want the ridiculous dream of light and clear. I routinely put 10 miles on in a day.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back