Ammunition advice

Wow what a way to live. Waiting for the STHTF. Sounds like those idiotic preppers out there.

Just going to throw this out there...

If you truly want to be prepared for any situation, more important that shooting a specific ammo... Find a reputable instructor in your area and get some training with your carbines. Make 100% sure that the ammo you choose functions well in the mags you choose in the carbine you choose. My figuring is this...

It doesn't so much matter how big a stockpile of ammo you have, one well placed 55gr Ball round will be more effective than 100 misses or bad hits with 75gr TAP, Mk 262, XM556, 60Gr Partitions, or what have you...

I've taken a couple tactical carbine courses, and each time I was really humbled as to how poorly I shot under stress and how slow and inconsistent I was with an elevated hart rate. 500 rounds in a training course will be far more valuable than stockpiling 10,000 rounds. I am by no means an Expert with a carbine. I'm simply an avid shooter with an affinity for pushing my limits.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pick up a couple cases of 55gr Ball, Take a couple courses and pick up 200-400 rounds of Qaulity defensive ammo. Make sure it functions in your rifles with your mags. Taking a training course or two will also help you understand the reliability of your rifles, and find any idiosyncrasies that the rifles may have.

Good post MKotur. Martial training can absolutely be a pulse suppressant.

Start a thread about Urban Hunter Ed with minimum age tag. You'll get at least 5 pages. ; )

I live near a potential urban war zone. I'm not worried about fighting the military. Hopefully we will be on the same side.

Your best bet then is to leave said area when "potential" turns to "imminent". You will not win that fight with 10k rounds of 5.56 and all the classes in the world. Discretion is the better part of valor. Load up the minivan and move out smartly.

Muscle memory wins gun fights, not tactics. Realizing that very few instructors have ever heard a shot fired in anger, but all of them have an opinion on how it should be executed. Use them for what they can provide, knowledge and practice on employing the tool you have. The number one priority for anyone in a dangerous situation, is get the hell out of the situation. 9 times out of 10 it means collecting up what is important to you, and running. It is not your job, nor will you win any medals, by killing some "bad guys", the best outcome you can hope for is protecting your family.

I firmly believe it is my responsibility to protect my family, but I think the last 10 years of war, video games, tactical shooting fads have skewed perceptions of reality. Way to many poeple are trying to make money off of the good intentions of poeple who just want to protect their families, using fear to sell product, turning them into cul-de-sac commandos.

Look back at history, taking a stand with a stockpile of ammo never turns out well. Mtmuley had the best idea.

Back