ammo showing up on shelves, but....

They frisked me on my way out the door. A little too much "jingle" in my step.

Tomorrow I get to shoot the suppressor I built today. Kind of fun to see how that gets done. Now, if only I could get my stamp in less than a year.
Self-made suppressor -- good time to remember safety glasses ;)

I bought some buffalo bore 305 grain hard cast loads for a new Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Mag last fall. Normally wouldn’t go out of my way to order ammo online like I did with this stuff, but it was the only available ammo I could dig up.

I took the gun to the range and fired 6 shots. When I opened it up only three casings fell out after working the ejector. I had to dig something out of the truck to push the other casings out.

Upon further inspection about 2/3 up the way of the casings there was a small chaffing “ring” where clearly the brass had been stuck. My immediate thoughts were that the rounds were loaded too hot and that this was a pressure issue.

I haven’t had a chance to really shoot the gun since, but I’ve since acquired some HSM loads to try through the gun at the range, probably this weekend. My original plan was to try the Buffalo Bore Ammo again also but after reading this thread I’m wondering if the risk of a malfunction with the ammo isn’t worth the risk. Should I scrap the Buffalo Bore ammo altogether? I have 30 rounds of it left...

Update: after typing that last post I went and grabbed the gun and the six rounds that spent most of the hunting season in the gun. Each brass has chaffed “rings” around them. On some of them I can actually feel a very small protrusion in the brass. I think I’ll be contacting Buffalo Bore about this.

Attachments

• 94BEDC02-48BE-4F65-9BB4-0F88D6F5AFCC.jpeg
    94BEDC02-48BE-4F65-9BB4-0F88D6F5AFCC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm at Nosler this week. Spent most the afternoon on the production floor. Amazing how much they have increased capacity since my last tour four years ago. Even at that, with machines running non-stop, they can't keep up.

Brass, anyone?

View attachment 214732
Get any H1000 while you were there??? Asking for a friend (psssst it’s @noharleyyet)

Tomorrow I get to shoot the suppressor I built today. Kind of fun to see how that gets done. Now, if only I could get my stamp in less than a year.
America 'land of the free'
I think that is the ONLY restriction you have that us in the UK don't, they are so easy to obtain, and yet, I don't use one!
Cheers
Richard

They frisked me on my way out the door. A little too much "jingle" in my step.

Are you gonna start shooting suppressor when hunting?

Cabelas had hornady precision hunter 143 grain eldx in 6.5 prc for 57.99 a box in stock this morning. By 11am it was out of stock. That didnt take long.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back