Caribou Gear

American Airlines

1_pointer

Drew a tag and am planning on flying out and renting a car. American Airlines has the current best times (and deal by a few bucks) for when I'm wanting to travel. At a cookout financial situation of AA seems to be a recent topic. A quick google search turned up some chatter, but nothing I'd consider definitive. How spooked would you be in booking a flight with them for September?

Also, when comparing fares, make sure you also take into account checked bag fees and other any other fees that aren’t part of the fare. With hunting gear, that stuff can add up to be a big chunk of the total flight cost.

A company that large has certainly made the necessary political contributions. I wouldn't worry.

They were arguably in the worst financial shape of the three US Majors going into the current issues, but they are managing decently. Just like in the past, chapter 11 bankruptcy is not out of the realm of possibility, but No matter what, as others have stated, they are likely to make it through the pandemic travel climate without stopping operation. The wrinkle is there is really no viable merger out there this time (I.e. when they went into chapter 11 in 2011, they exited largely based on the merger with USAir), so they will need to make more fundamental changes.

In any case, travel in September on any of the large airlines should be fine. Schedules may be wacky and are obviously cut to bare bones, so have patience that if you have flight disruptions it could cost more than a couple of hours.

Here’s a good short blog piece on their Q1 earnings from a blogger I’ve known for some time: https://onemileatatime.com/american-airlines-first-quarter-loss/

As always, if you have nonstop options, that is ideal and worth a few extra bucks.

As always, if you have nonstop options, that is ideal and worth a few extra bucks.

Along these lines I'd pay $250 more to fly to AK on Alaska rather than United.

I'd pay $250 to fly Southwest Boston to Denver than American.

In both cases the price you pay on kayak or whatever versus the actual price paid when all is said and done will likely be the same. Baggage fees, change flight fees, flights getting delayed or canceled and the airlines policies on hotel vouchers, policies regarding travel with firearms, weight restrictions on carry-on, etc etc etc.

In both cases the price you pay on kayak or whatever versus the actual price paid when all is said and done will likely be the same. Baggage fees, change flight fees, flights getting delayed or canceled and the airlines policies on hotel vouchers, policies regarding travel with firearms, weight restrictions on carry-on, etc etc etc.
Do NOT book via a third party (Kayak, Travelocity, et al). Fine to use them for research, but book direct with the airline, for a number of reasons, including:

- All the airlines will give you the best price direct
- if you book via a 3rd party they become the travel agent which makes any communication with the airline (schedule changes, disruptions, etc) a game of telephone with the 3rd party in the middle
- In many cases, fares from those outfits will book into extremely restrictive fare classes and ancillary fees (like the ones wilm pointed out) will quickly negate any perceived savings. And in some cases (looking at you, Frontier), even will restrict what you can and can not pay for.

Disclaimer : I don’t represent any airline or travel group, but I have flown ~150,000 butt-in-seat miles annually for the last 25 years.

Do NOT book via a third party (Kayak, Travelocity, et al). Fine to use them for research, but book direct with the airline, for a number of reasons, including:

- All the airlines will give you the best price direct
- if you book via a 3rd party they become the travel agent which makes any communication with the airline (schedule changes, disruptions, etc) a game of telephone with the 3rd party in the middle
- In many cases, fares from those outfits will book into extremely restrictive fare classes and ancillary fees (like the ones wilm pointed out) will quickly negate any perceived savings. And in some cases (looking at you, Frontier), even will restrict what you can and can not pay for.

Disclaimer : I don’t represent any airline or travel group, but I have flown ~150,000 butt-in-seat miles annually for the last 25 years.
Nothing more fun then paying a re-booking fee to travelocity and then paying another one to united. 🤦‍♂️

Of all the major airlines, AA is the most likely to hose you. They do so in the best of times, why not the worst? I will pay $100-200 more to fly with another airline, I hate them that much... They either lost my luggage, missed my connections, or had late flights and I had to cancel on 3/4 of the flights I took with them. They do the absolute minimum required by law, and CS is the worst in the business. How they are still in business is beyond me.

Bankruptcy ? I believe so... By September? Maybe though likely 2021-2. Think September may be too soon.
they may use bankruptcy to merge, absorb, or be absorbed by other(s)... As they did in 2011.

Which ones will survive so that the OP can rent a car in the fall.
I've been sticking with Enterprise/National for number of years now and never had a complaint, it also helps that its what we use them for work travel and have a corporate account, which i definitely reap the benefits from. they seem to be doing pretty well, so i wouldn't worry too much.
also to the OP: you should only reserve cars directly with Car rental companies. since you don't actually pre-pay until you pick up/return the vehicle, making a reservation now even with multiple companies will cost you nothing.*(sometimes they do offer little discount if you pre-pay at the time of reservation, but given current situation i'd skip this). It's perfectly common in car rental business that those who reserved: do not show up due to missed/late flights, etc. if you're not at car rental with in 4 hr or so of your expected pick up time, your reservation is gone, and that's it. as long as you didnt pre-pay.
here are few tips when it comes to car rentals:
#1 - sing up for a free rewards/membership account, even if you dont rent often, it helps when dealing with customer service vs being a one time rental w/out an account.
-book directly with companies and not via 3rd party.
-stay away from Dollar Rental and other bottom dollar rental companies, trust me, piece of mind and ease of renting through one of the bigger companies will go a long way. Top tier rental companies will also always have newer cars with less miles. i cannot remember how many times i've gotten into a car and it had less then 100 miles on OD.
-OP start looking for rentals now. little secret: you can have multiple reservations with same company at the same time. *(sometimes i reserve different cars for different lengths of stay if i am reserving before i finalize my travel dates/book flights, then i go back and cancel the one i dont need)
-dont just focus on one specific Car Class: ex: Mid-size sedan. pricing for a lot of these companies is fluid and is based on demand vs inventory. I've gotten a mini-van cheaper then a sub-compact would have cost me. so check ALL vehicle classes.
-i usually check weekly or bi-weekly to see if rates have dropped as i get closer to my travel dates. simply try starting a new reservation search and see what the total is. if prices dropped - great make that reservation for a new lower rate, then you can go back and cancel your old pricier reservation.
-OP also if you're renting for lets say 5 or 6 days, check a weekly rental price. It can be cheaper to rent for a week vs 5 days. and while your reservation is for 1 week (7 days), you actually can return early and only get charged for # of days used. ex: 7 day rental = $700 ($100/day), if you take that rental through any of the major companies *(you can double check this with companies on your own prior to rental just to be sure), and lets say you return your vehicle on day 6 of the 7 day rental, they would only charge you for time used: aka 6 days/$600, even thought your reservation was for 7 days. ***(I've been in a situation where i flew into a major city for 1 night/1 day and needed a rental last minute upon arrival, but even with my corporate account/status, their inventory was so low, that i was told there is NO cars available for 1 day rental. so i simply made a 1 week long rental reservation on my phone car rental App right as i stood in the rental company's office, and all of a sudden car was available and they pulled it up front in matter of minutes. my coworker and i took the car, and had it returned not even 24 hours later to the same place. we were only charged for 1 day even thought we made a week long reservation to get around Inventory shortage)
-OP check with your insurance to make sure it covers your rental so you dont get pressured into buying their insurance. but be sure that you are covered. *(for my work travel i have an umbrella policy so i personally dont have to worry about it). only time i ever bought their insurance was in a different part of the world where having a car is sketchy and its likely that it will be damaged/broken into.

good luck.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back