MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Amazing things you have experienced while hunting...

Hiker

I thought this would be fun.........please add your own stories...

A few years back I was stillhunting through some black timber and noticed a elk in front of me, moving away. I'm sure it didn't know I was there, so I let it get out of sight and then I quietly try to catch up with it. The wind was blowing right and I was gaining ground but I couldn't find it...then up ahead, I see movement but it's the wrong color...it's a bear, a big blackie who didn't know I was there...he was ripping some logs apart looking for some food and working his way toward me. I'm sure I could have stuck him if I had a tag. He kept coming, so I yell, "Hey Bear" and he stops and looks at me and then went back to eating, so I say "Hey Bear" he looks at me again and then goes back to eating. Then he slowly starts making his way toward me, I decide to back outta there and leave him be. He wasn't scared of me, at all. As I left, I did watch my back trail and kept a arrow knocked for several hundred yards, just in case he got stupid. He was a beautiful Jet Black bear, a color that's rare in this area. Most all of our bears are off color and most are dark chocolate brown. That was the first bear that I had encountered that had absolutely no fear of me.

Another one.....

One winter night I was coon hunting with some friends in N.E. Ohio. We had a little snow on the ground and the temp was in the teens. We hunted for a hour or so and the dogs were on a hot track and then the dogs were barking treed. We went toward them and they were barking up this big tree at the edge of a big pond. We shined our headlamps up into the tree and found the coon but we couldn't get it to look at us and all we could see was its tail. Well I volunteer to wade into the pond in my hip boots and go to the other side of the tree to take a look and see if I can get a shot from that angle. I start my way around and it's thick and full of briars and vines. I'm only a inch or two from having freezing water go into my waders so I force my way in to the tree, plowing my way getting scratched all up and I finally get next to the tree and turn my headlamp up and not 12" from my face it this BIG Possum. :eek: :eek: Scared the crap out of me! Once I regained my composure I shot it in the head, back then a Large Prime Oppossum would bring 8-10 dollars. I then proceed to and finally find the coon and shoot it and it falls....right into the ice cold pond. One of the dogs jumps in after it....now I have disaster in the making...that coon will drown my dog.....I go after the dog to cut him off and keep him away from this coon, now I'm up to my chest in freezing cold water holding the dog by him collar and splashing water at the dying coon to keep him away from the dog and me. Finally the coon makes it to shore and dies. Well needless to say my hunting was done for the night.

One of the dogs jumps in after it....now I have disaster in the making...that coon will drown my dog.....I go after the dog to cut him off and keep him away from this coon, now I'm up to my chest in freezing cold water holding the dog by him collar and splashing water at the dying coon to keep him away from the dog and me.

Cool stories. Got a little Red Fern flash back there for a couple lines.:D

I watched my oldest son drop his first mulie buck, a forked horn, with 1 shot at 200 yards and the buck never kicked once after it went down. Watching him make that shot with no help from me was amazing. He was so proud of that little buck and kept those little antlers for several years until some low life stole them.

October, 2002 - Eastern MT:

I watched a group of doe antelope put the run on a coyote. They didn't just chase him off, but the four does that took after him got some good licks on him.

By the time he realized he had messed with some bad ass women, it was too late. He put it in "swift and fast" but that was still too slow. Those old gals meant business.

They stayed after him for the better part of a quarter mile, and the one doe kept in pursuit for twice that distance.

I wonder if he ever came after a group of does again?

I laughed my butt off. I had a doe tag in my pocket, but after watching that, let them go on their way.

I was with a buddy messing around out in Oregon, we were up on a hillside and watched a coyote chase a doe and a fawn out of a group of trees. Thought we'd help mama out so we shot the coyote as he was running them. Hit him in the back hips and he let out a loud yelp and started crawling around. Mama deer turned around and head pounded him with her front hooves 4 or 5 times and he was out like a light. Went down to him and his skull was crushed in. Pretty cool to see how hard she could hit, my buddy ended up bleaching the skull.

Antelope hunting near Jordan we watched 5 head of whitetails running up a hillside. A golden eagle was right on the top of one of the fawns. The eagle cut the fawn off and it ran down hill while the other 4 head went up hill.

We didn't think an eagle could kill a deer. About half an hour later we drove over to the area and there was the eagle feeding on the freshly killed fawn. Most amazing thing I have seen out in the field.

nice stories!

One time we were hunting and it was a blizzard outside. You could only see 50-60 yards. As I was walking I heard some noise at the edge of the trees. The brush was pretty tall so I snuck closer. When I peered over the brush I couldn't believe what I saw. There were two mountain lions on top of a deer. I had a mountain lion tag but hesisitated shooting. I backed off and went and got my dad. We snuck back to where they were and they were still on the deer. I setup my video camera and took a shot at the tom. They both jumped up and took off running. I missed. We walked up to the deer which was a fawn and found that its front hooves were over its head. After we help get its feet back in place the fawn stood up and seemed ok. It then ran off. 2 hours later we heard the noise in the trees and sure enough the mountain lions had killed that fawn. A few days later when I was walking through that patch of trees I found 5 buck skulls and 3 doe skulls. It seemed like those lions were held up there for a long time.

EL

I was bear hunting during the spring bear season here in Washington and saw two huge salamanders making love in a small, shallow pond.
They were going at it like you'd expect from a couple of teenage virgins. hump
I almost took a picture for Moosie but it was dark in there and I didn't think it'd be right to disturb them with the flash.

Yeah, this is a little different. Beats me telling the story of how I almost fell off a cliff or when I almost had my head blown clean off my shoulders.

I was pulling a steep hill out a deep canyon, when I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye behind some brush about 10 feet away. I took two more steps -and there was a living, breathing spike blacktail (not legal to shoot in Cali.) just standing there feeding.
He could have cared less and hardly even noticed I was there. He would glance at me sideways a few times, and looked like he was wondering why I wasn't browsing on the feed that was there. I sat down and just watched him feed around in circles around me for about 15 minutes. He never looked at me directly but would stop feeding and stare at me with one eye with his head held low. He got so close I could have jumped on his back, but never fed any closer than 10 or 8 yards... I guess he wasn't all that dumb, but this was a WILD deer!! I'd never seen anything quite like it. He fed around a corner and I went back to camp.
An hour later I stopped 3 nutballs who skidded to a stop right in front of my camp from blasting away at that little spike as he was feeding down in the valley about 400 yards away. I wonder if he made it through the season?

my son was only about 5 when we sat on a ridge watching a doe and two fawns grazing in a opening below us.
the fawns started playing running and bucking like a saddle bronc. it must have been catchy because the doe started doing it too.
the doe ran around then started bucking when she tripped and fell flat on her face.
she stood up then looked in all directions just like "nobody saw that did they?"
Mose and i got a good chuckle out of her.
several of nuts post just not in a blind.

A herd of at least 70 elk on a southest facing hillside during opening morning Colorado rifle season last october. Beautiful clear sunshiny morning...elk talking, milling & grazing. They were about 200 yards up a gradual slope from the property line feeding uphill.

A High School friend and I were running a trapline on Conneaut Creek and had made some beaver sets 4-5 miles down the river, we also made a few muskrat/mink sets along the way and checked those each day as we worked our way along the way to the beaver sets. We usually made sets on this river on Friday and pulled them on Sunday as it was to much ground to cover on school days. One weekend we had a artic cold front move in and the temp. dropped to 10-20 below zero and with the wind it was 20-40 below zero. Well we had made it all the way down to the beaver sets and were happy to see we connected on a big blanket size beaver at a bank den set. We collected our beaver out of the 330 coniber, reset the trap and was checking out another area for bank dens and runs in order to place some more sets. While making our way around the tributary in our waders, breaking through the ice and kicking for bank dens, Jimmy fell into a deep bank den, all the way in up to his neck in freezing water...... I still can see his face and the fear that was on it! I pulled him up out of the water and he is starting into shock and his clothes are already freezing into ice as I start pulling off his outer layers, I get a couple of layers off and start a fire and as the fire grows, I help him take the rest of his clothes off. I take off a couple layers of my clothes and put them on him and hang his frozen clothes above the fire to thaw them out and try to dry them. He is finally able to make sense with his words but still his teeth are chattering like crazy. After a while his clothes dry enough so we get him dressed and start the long haul home, dragging that frozen beaver behind us. By the grace of God, my friend made it out alive.

A couple of years ago while deer hunting during OH's gun season, I heard some twigs snap behind me. I slowly turned around to see the biggest skunk I have ever seen. This bad boy was less than 7 feet behind me. To say the least I was more than a little nervous. I stayed there for several minutes, and then when on his way. I soon moved from that spot just to be on the safe side.
Mal

While glassing a hillside last year I watched to older women in their 40's hike over the hill and sit down. Just curious I watched them through the spotting scope. They sat down on a rock and were looking around, then suddenly one broke out the peace pipe and started toking up. I was laughing then suddenly they started making out, it really got interesting. I kept thinking if my buddy wasnt here I could still hold the spotter with one handhump hump

3years ago I was hunting near Desolation Valley in the Sierras. I was up on a ridge and my buddy was down below in a meadow. a group of a bout 3 deer blew by where I was sitting just before first light. I radioed my buddy telling that the deer were heading toward him but they took a funny path and by the time I got to a vantage point where I could see if my buddy was going to get his deer I saw a big lion right on the tail of the deer. I went back to get my pack and saw the cat's tracks 5 feet behind where I was sitting. He didn't know I was there or more intent on getting a deer.

On a lighter note. I was turkey hunting just north of here a few years back and was sitting under a little oak with couple of buddies when I caught movement on one of the limbs of the tree, it was a little mouse running laps for some unknown reason. Well it was an hour before shoot time so I nodded off watching this mouse. well he wasn't content running laps any longer so he ran down the limb, right down the tree and down my coat. I jumped as he exited the bottom and ran off. On our way out my buddie asked why I jumped so I told him about the little mouse, since that time I have not lived the mouse thing down.

Having sex with my wife in a hunting blind

Nut..me too, only my wife in a duck blind.

Old Troy sitting on the porch at camp with a hood of full of shit hanging behind his head wondering why he could still smell shit, he washed his hands 10 tmes and could still smell it. He didn't realize he shit in the hood of his coveralls when he lowered them. He knows now to either lean back further, or reach between his legs and pull the hood forward. The good thing is he taught a lot of the kids what could happen

Whiskers,

Now that's funny! Reminded me of seeing my buddy walking back to our rendezvous after a hunt with no sleeves on. He said he was finishing up his squat session when I guess he kind of bounced to bring himself back up to a standing position but bottomed out a bit. Sleeves became necessary for the clean up I guess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back