Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alpine Happiness

Hem

Different kind of thread. I'm curious how many of you have a passion for exploring above treeline? Since I was a kid I have always been drawn to high peaks, alpine lakes, wandering ridge lines. Some of the climbs have been slightly ego driven but most have been purely about seeking solitude. I am not a technical climber. Ropes and hardware are not my thing, I lean towards wanderlust.
It would be cool if like minds would share pics, maybe a quick briefing...
Surely there are alpine hunting pics, out of country trips.
A thread to showcase everything remote, rugged, high.

One goal I made in recent years was to climb every 10k peak in a local range. 43 total. I picked away at it and finished two summers ago.20200714_172602.jpg

One goal I made in recent years was to climb every 10k peak in a local range. 43 total. I picked away at it and finished two summers ago.
If you're married and conquered 43 local alpine climate peaks, I'll front the $ to publish! This may exceed the Venus & Mars dillio!

Very cool, Hem. Grats!

A favorite alpine climate area was Triple Divide Pass in GNP. The tiny dwarf pines a few hundred feet below and marmot heaven w/in the rocks.

If you're married and conquered 43 local alpine climate peaks, I'll front the $ to publish! This may exceed the Venus & Mars dillio!

Very cool, Hem. Grats!

A favorite alpine climate area was Triple Divide Pass in GNP. The tiny dwarf pines a few hundred and marmot heaven w/in the rocks.
My wife understands.
Wish I was closer to Glacier.
There simply isn't enough time in life.DSCN0378.JPG

It's getting to be the only places left to get away from the hoards. No trails to any of these, all completely unique destinations.

20210921_191933.jpg
20190918_160107.jpg
20201101_111930.jpg
20200917_181745.jpg
20200829_144152.jpg
20200731_111641.jpg
20200703_115019.jpg

We run into the opposite problem as @Oak our trees go right to the top many times.

Not a lot of ridge walking around here pretty cliffy.

Nothing better than spending a day (or a couple weeks) up in the alpine. I have some similar goals. I have been checking off highpoint for each mountain range in Montana, but still have a long way to go on that list. I'm also trying to summit every peak above 7000' in my local wilderness area. Only 3 left to go on that list.

Your mention of out of country trips got me thinking of my only volcano climb. Back in 2006-2007 I met my parents and sister in Bali for the holidays. My parents were living in that part of the world at the time, so it made a great excuse for me to visit an area I had spent some of my childhood. While I was there, I decided that I wanted to climb the local volcano. It is called Ganung Agung and is just under 10,000' tall. I had no idea where to start the hike or what route to take, but after a few inquiries I found a local teenager that knew the route up and was willing to show me the way for around $30. Seemed like a good deal to me! I arranged a vehicle to take us up to the most sacred Balinese temple where the trail started. It was highly recommended to start hiking a few hours before daylight to be able to see the sunrise from the crater rim, so it was a very early 2am wake up the next morning. The hike up wasn't too bad with most of it on steep but very grippy volcanic rock. It took us about an hour less than the guide expected to get up to the top as he wasn't expecting an American to be in as good as shape as he was. Unfortunately, that hour before sunrise was very cold and windy and I had mostly packed beach clothes. Thankfully my guide had a extra rain suit that kept me from freezing to death while we huddled in a lava chute waiting for the sun to come up. It was all worth it once I got to see the sunrise from above the clouds.
DSC00529.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

Picture 099.jpg

Looking into the crater
Picture 095.jpg

Above his head in the forest you can see the temple where we started and ended the hike.
DSC00562.jpg

Besakih Temple
Picture 106.jpg

Gunung Agung has since had several somewhat large eruptions forcing mass evacuations and even caused a significant disruption to flights from asia to Australia and New Zealand. Not my pic, but a shot of one of the eruptions in 2017.
440px-Mount_Agung,_November_2017_eruption_-_27_Nov_2017_02.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. Brought back some good memories and this place needed something uplifting to counter some of the drama lately!

Nothing better than spending a day (or a couple weeks) up in the alpine. I have some similar goals. I have been checking off highpoint for each mountain range in Montana, but still have a long way to go on that list. I'm also trying to summit every peak above 7000' in my local wilderness area. Only 3 left to go on that list.

Your mention of out of country trips got me thinking of my only volcano climb. Back in 2006-2007 I met my parents and sister in Bali for the holidays. My parents were living in that part of the world at the time, so it made a great excuse for me to visit an area I had spent some of my childhood. While I was there, I decided that I wanted to climb the local volcano. It is called Ganung Agung and is just under 10,000' tall. I had no idea where to start the hike or what route to take, but after a few inquiries I found a local teenager that knew the route up and was willing to show me the way for around $30. Seemed like a good deal to me! I arranged a vehicle to take us up to the most sacred Balinese temple where the trail started. It was highly recommended to start hiking a few hours before daylight to be able to see the sunrise from the crater rim, so it was a very early 2am wake up the next morning. The hike up wasn't too bad with most of it on steep but very grippy volcanic rock. It took us about an hour less than the guide expected to get up to the top as he wasn't expecting an American to be in as good as shape as he was. Unfortunately, that hour before sunrise was very cold and windy and I had mostly packed beach clothes. Thankfully my guide had a extra rain suit that kept me from freezing to death while we huddled in a lava chute waiting for the sun to come up. It was all worth it once I got to see the sunrise from above the clouds.
View attachment 216890

View attachment 216892

View attachment 216893

Looking into the crater
View attachment 216894

Above his head in the forest you can see the temple where we started and ended the hike.
View attachment 216896

Besakih Temple
View attachment 216897

Gunung Agung has since had several somewhat large eruptions forcing mass evacuations and even caused a significant disruption to flights from asia to Australia and New Zealand. Not my pic, but a shot of one of the eruptions in 2017.
View attachment 216901

Thanks for starting this thread. Brought back some good memories and this place needed something uplifting to counter some of the drama lately!
Wow. Super cool. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 216890

View attachment 216892

View attachment 216893

Looking into the crater
View attachment 216894

View attachment 216896

Besakih Temple
View attachment 216897

View attachment 216901

When I started reading this I was thinking, “hey, that thing erupted recently!”

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back