Alligator Skull Mount

JTHOMP

I still have my gator heads in the freezer from last September. Already applied for tags again next season so might and well thaw them out and give it a try. I kept the heads from a 5ft and an 8.5 ft gator. Doing the smaller now for a trial run then will do the bigger one later. I may need a bigger pot for that one.

The head is simmering now. Then will pressure wash. Here’s a couple photos of what it looked like after thawing and cutting chicken scraps. My helpers were happy to stay by my side the whole time.
0AE9D809-AD13-4510-B7BB-A67EF90155AE.jpeg
70AC27BA-14CB-4E4A-B838-C747A7D8B03A.jpeg
67DA394C-8A6A-4EBB-8162-75A6B60BF1FB.jpeg

Will you mount on a wall? I did not find an off-the-shelf solution so used a gate hinge that only opened part way then flipped so that "stop" point would result in the gator skull being slightly tilted down. I screwed the gate hinge into the underside of the hull then I tipped the skull upwards to screw the hinge into the wall. One tooth was lost so I carved a wooden tooth to fit in the socket that was the right shape and length then painted to match the real teeth.

Alligator mounts.jpg

I used to boil them and got tired of figuring out where all the little bones and teeth went after. A buddy in Jackson did mine with beetles. My kids love them.

Haven’t thought of anything other than just displaying it on the shelf or unused office space.
Well pressure washing could’ve gone better. Put 1 one hole in the top of the mouth. Then doing the lower jaw split it in half at the front of the mouth. Hopefully I can glue that back. On the plus side I haven’t lost any teeth. Still got some stuff around them but trying to be gentle with for now. Back in the pot with peroxide.
67FBC4AE-425C-4515-9235-569BF56DA198.jpeg

Last edited:
For peroxide soak I changed the water and filled just enough so the 3 pieces could lay flat. I didn’t have and salon 40 and didn’t feel like going to town so I used a big bottle regular 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let that sit for an hour and a half. The first 30min I stepped away and was a slight rolling boil. Killed the fire and let that sit in the hot water the rest of the time.

To clean up after that I used the regular spray nozzle hose and dental floss picks. Really helped to get in between the teeth. When flushing out the nose cavity did put a small split in the seem. Not bad and a easy glue fix. Let dry, glue nose, jaw, and maybe some teeth and it’ll be done.
FF7B2B5C-ADAB-44BC-A5AB-06D18554FB75.jpeg

988366A8-5BFC-4560-A68F-133C4D29CC1A.jpeg

E048DECF-A60B-4947-881B-EF5EA406153D.jpeg

Last edited:
Very cool. I didn't realize the back of the skull was so short. Makes for a real small brain. I recently met someone like that. ;) Guess all the actions up front eh.

Gator is definitely the hardest of the 3. I’ve done probably 50 heads between whitetail, muley’s, hogs, gators, and elk.

Impressive you got the teeth to stay in. When mine was boiled a bunch fell out everywhere. Kind of a trick to find the right hole to put them back into.

The trick is not to boil,but just let it simmer for a long period.Boiling causes all the teeth to fall out
and the skulls to crack and fall apart.Learned my lessons the hard way from many-many Javelina. 💥

I more or less followed along with the whitebone creations guy on YouTube. Yes simmer but let it sit just long enough that the skin starts to peel. I took mine out with less peeling that what his looked like.

I think you can over do anything whether it’s temperature, time, or both. The deer I’ve done I was cautious to just simmer but still over did it and lost some bones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back