Caribou Gear

All Weather Hunting Pants

FredoTwoWheels

I am somewhat new to backpack hunting and I am looking for a single pair of pants I can wear the entire hunt without too much discomfort. The whole different layer system stuff I see just looks like $$$ to me, and I have a lot of expensive hobbies besides hunting so I was hoping for something that can perform fairly well for any condition I may encounter on a September elk archery hunt without having three different sets of bottoms. First Lite is advertising that their SEAK pants are durable and comfortable enough to wear the entire day, would anyone that owns them say this is an accurate sales pitch or is there a different pant I should be SEAKing? Thanks

I have the Seak jacket, and it's First Lite's bomb proof rain jacket. If the pants are the same construction I'd sure hate to have them be my only pants. For September elk and durability I think you'd be better off with corrugate pants.

First Lite's support staff is top notch. Contact them and they'll steer you to the right pants.

Last edited:
I honestly rarely wear rain pants. I do own the corrugate guide pants and they wick enough water to be acceptable. They'd also dry off quickly enough to not matter if they get wet. I will also say that I just bought these pants, and for backpacking always just wore my old trusty gander mountain hiking pants. They aren't even waterproof but I really find that as long as I'm standing up, my pants don't get all that wet. I would worry more about a rain gear top and pack cover and forget about getting anything waterproof for pants unless you're planning on being in a place with constant rain. Then it may be worth it.

September elk? I normally wear Prana Zions in a mud or cargo green color. I'll usually take a rain kilt instead of rain pants, but if I do take rain pants they are marmot precip.

The Prana's are better than just about every warm season hunting pant out there. Try some, you'll end up wearing them every day.

I am somewhat new to backpack hunting and I am looking for a single pair of pants I can wear the entire hunt without too much discomfort. The whole different layer system stuff I see just looks like $$$ to me, and I have a lot of expensive hobbies besides hunting so I was hoping for something that can perform fairly well for any condition I may encounter on a September elk archery hunt without having three different sets of bottoms. First Lite is advertising that their SEAK pants are durable and comfortable enough to wear the entire day, would anyone that owns them say this is an accurate sales pitch or is there a different pant I should be SEAKing? Thanks

You have many options in my opinion. Prana's, Kuiu Attacks or Alpines, Costco Travel Pants, and Sitka Old Ascents are all pants I've worn scouting or hunting that I would consider for hunting during September. As far as durability I would be slightly concerned with the attacks. I wore them through an entire archery season in CO and had significant fraying from about mid calf down. Right now I'm loving the Prana's more and more. I have shed hunted all May in them and they are extremely comfortable and durable. I can even wear them to work. With all that said, I just received the new Apex pants from Sitka. I am going backpacking this weekend and want to test them out. I want them to be my September pants in CO, but IDK yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back