Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

All of you guys who pack in for muleys...

Thanks...
Just love this stuff so much, it is hard to comprehend some one just going out for no other reason than to kill the biggest thing they can find and not seeing all the great things around them. Of course it could be they are so shallow that they can only live for the moment of some one else patting them on the back for their great accomplishments. That type of individual doesnt live for any thing but the glory of themselves...LMAO at them... :D :D :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-02-2002 08:13: Message edited by: ELKCHSR ]</font>

I just put 'big mule deer' in www.google.com and got out 84,000+ hits. If you hike to each spot, one each week, that would be 1,615 years of hiking. One every two weeks, say you have to work, that would be 3,230 years of hiking. Lots of sunsets, eh? I bet you'd find lots of big everything too. :confused:

Great find Tom, and very good point. There are plenty of places to find biguns, but you do have to do alot of leg work as some others have stated to find them. Might as well learn to smell the flowers as you go along, it is easier to teach most of these kids how to have fun and enjoy the outdoors, if you show them that there is more out there than the ultimate rack. !!!Alot More!!! :D :D :D

I completely agree about enjoying the scenery and other wildlife along the way. I always enjoy the whole experience if I just wanted to kill some big chit I would go sit a heated blind sipping coffee on some game ranch. There is a difference between advice on how to enjoy the outdoors, and telling someone that they shouldnt look for deer when they are looking for a good muley spot. example: "Don't go looking for deer. I suggest that you start backpacking for the pure fun of backpacking, because you want to be outdoors, gaze at distant vistas, smell the desert in the morning after it rained...." The post was good but I just really dont think it would help TK one bit since his question was about packing in for muleys, not how to get some cute pictures and become one with nature. I will take pictures of the sunrise/sunset or some critter that I happen to see in the woods but my mind never leaves the main objective which in this case would be finding deer. Anything that I see along the way is a bonus, but it isnt a successful trip unless you make progress whether it be locating a bedding area, unknown water or food source, see a good buck you havent seen before etc.. You need to be exploring and hiking with deer in mind. If you sit in the woods watching grass blow in the breeze, and listen birds singing long enough yes you probably will see a good buck someday but if you want to consitently kill trophy animals the only way to do it is focus on the game you are hunting, and what their habits are.

No one said that you shouldn't have an objective, but to just go looking for deer and not notice the other things around you is really wrong. I have talked with TK on this and he fully seems to agree. The objective is deer, look for deer, just don't miss the other joy's that you pass. That's like having kids and only looking to see what they become, and not noticing that they can walk or tie their shoes or read.... :D

When I said packing in for muleys I didn't mean it as only the hunting. I think it would be fun because you get far away from everyone and all you see is nature. Yes, when I'm hunting and I see a coyote or something I stop and will watch it. I don't keep on walking because I'm hunting deer. Or when you are in the backcountry in country that will never be touched by man in my lifetime would be a great feeling. I enjoy every part of the outdoors and think that packing in would bring in that much closer to me. I don't know if you guys understand what I mean by this but if you do great. If I did pack in for muleys I would probably shoot the first buck I saw, yes a big one looks good on the wall but I would much rather just enjoy the times that I had outdoors than have a good buck. Again, I don't know if any of you know what I mean by this, but if you do great!!

That was very well said Greg..You made a very well put and valid statement... :D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-03-2002 09:55: Message edited by: ELKCHSR ]</font>

ELKCHSR for the most part I can agree with your post, what you said is far from "Dont go look for deer". As far as likening hunting hard to being an asshole parent I think you went a little far. :D

TK you said "I have really got interested in packing into an area to hunt big muleys but don't know how to find the places to start." "Big Muleys" you said it not me, now you say you just want to backpack and shoot the first deer you see. Personally I really liked first idea much better, and I think you did too. You cant get too far with your head stuck up someones ass I can tell you that much ;)

Big muleys, you don't find them down low where I hunt. So the only chance I would ever have would be to pack in and get away from anyone. If I was back in there, the first buck I saw would most likely be better than what I am used to seeing when I go hunting. So my point is, I would shoot the first buck I saw because if you pack in there is less pressure, which the big ones like. The little ones are stupid on the other hand and don't hide in the back country as much as the big ones do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back