All around new hunter from Montana

Dzlmech

I was a little hesitant posting in the new guy forum cause it can be intimidating. But here I go.
My name is Jack I am a transplant from Northern California to Kalispell, MT now. I’ve been in Montana now for 11 years. And I had never hunted before the 2013 season. It all kind of started when an old roommate made bear stew from a bear he had harvested. After having that I knew I wanted to be able to find my own food. After that, my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) enrolled in the hunters education and completed that so we could hunt starting the 2013 season.
The both of us have been incredibly fortunate in our hunting experiences as we don’t have any real mentors. Neither one of us have any family whatsoever that hunt. So we are completely self taught. I spend lots of time watching hunting shows and listening to experiences. We have been fortunate to harvest an animal each every year we’ve been hunting. I myself have also harvested two wonderful bears, ones a funny story, but they are by far my favorite meat. We consider ourselves mule deer hunters as we love the elevation that they spend their time at here in the northwest.
Four years ago, we walk into a cabelas in post falls and my wife says “I want to shoot a bow” I was like really? Sure sounds like fun. Well naturally we end up buying her an entry level bear bow, and after she is shooting it in the yard and stuff for a couple weeks I’m like that does look like fun so I find an old Mathews mq1 bow for sale super cheap. We spend the next year messing around and taking bow hunters education, which let me tell you is far more informative to a new hunter than regular hunters Ed. Both of us have since upgraded bows to allow us to chase these mysterious wapiti.
Fast forward to last year, it was really my first time archery hunting. Well let’s face it, it was bow hiking. Now mind you I’ve been able to take my second bear with my bow in the 2017 season fall opener. That goes back to the funny story for another time. But I feel confident that if a shot presented itself I could take it. I had some trail cameras up in an area a friend said I should check out, turns out some fantastic amount of elk travel through this area, but never stay. I had two separate opportunities to take a cow at 30 yards, and I didn’t take them cause in my head I was thinking there’s gotta be a bull with them. There wasn’t. Going back to the saying never pass on the first day what you’d be happy with on the last day. I should have popped my elk cherry but I played arrogant and ate my tag.
Well here comes the 2019 tag applications and I was like let’s shoot for the moon, both my wife, myself, and next door neighbor, who I’d done a little bow hiking with, applied for the upper Missouri River breaks limited entry archery tag. In my head I’m thinking if one of the three of us draw it we’re going to have fun with it.
Well April rolls around for the draw results and all three of us draw it! So now the pressure is on. But we are looking forward to both my wife and I having the opportunity to fill our first elk tags.
I’ve been lurking on this site for a couple months learning but now looking forward to interacting with you all. So far everyone has been so ready to help and I really appreciate that because it seems like many of the locals to me are not willing to lend any advice.
If you’ve made it this far thanks for sticking it out! And can’t wait for September!2FCB02CA-3417-4FDA-8133-3C1167E5FBB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 16450A4D-C335-4A27-A5D8-C9CEC5E49F19.jpeg
    16450A4D-C335-4A27-A5D8-C9CEC5E49F19.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 51
  • F58EAEBE-C6C4-40FF-B358-14E76FDC58DA.jpeg
    F58EAEBE-C6C4-40FF-B358-14E76FDC58DA.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 52
Welcome. Quite an accomplishment to be successful self taught hunters. Congrats. Lots of useful info here in old threads and nice folks willing to share.

Certainly sounds like you’re addicted - welcome to the club. We’ll all be looking to here how this elk adventure turns out for you. Good luck.

Dandy bear and buck! Welcome aboard, man. You're at the right spot. There is a lot of information on here!

Also, when do you stop being an "all around new hunter"? Taking an animal every year since 13 sounds like you've at least leveled up from all around new!
I’m not sure the answer to that to be honest. Only 3 of the animals we’ve taken were from due diligence and hunting an area. The rest have been pure luck of rifle walking and being at the right place at the right time. But I guess that’s what hunting is partially isn’t it?

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome, if you ever make it over to the east side of the mountains i am around the Shelby/Conrad area. You can also message me if you have any questions about the breaks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back