Alcohol

I am fortunate to not struggle with alcoholism. I have never had a drink, and don't have any desire to. Beyond social norms and 'fitting in", I have yet to witness any benefits of drinking. I do know that I already have plenty of things to waste time and money on other than booze.

What are your preferred kinds?
The Coors isn't too far from the real thing if you're looking to quench your thirst with an early wake-up time. Lots of brewers seem to be getting wise to the NA game. There's even a few NA IPA's someone left over here, but I think all IPA's taste like berries in a bear turd and won't touch them either way.

Worthwhile topic. Alcohol destroyed many in my Dad's family, including him. He died from it at age 62. His last ten years were pretty much non-functioning. He ruined a lot of relationships and pissed away a life of blessings the bottle couldn't allow him to realize.

Unfortunately, it took his younger sister, at an even younger age.

I saw many high school friends follow that same path. My Dad's example was enough to discourage me and my siblings from following that difficult path.

When my wife got pregnant I dropped drinking, kinda in solidarity but also just seemed like an apt opportunity. I've been buying NA beer for a Friday afternoon beverage and have been pleasantly surprised.

It definitely doesn't taste like beer... but it's pretty amazing compared to the the crap they had 20 years ago.

In regard to the theme of the thread, I'll have drinks here and there going forward I think... but I think I'm mostly done drinking.
Heineken zero tastes just like regular Heineken. Give it a try if you haven’t.

When my wife got pregnant I dropped drinking, kinda in solidarity but also just seemed like an apt opportunity. I've been buying NA beer for a Friday afternoon beverage and have been pleasantly surprised.

It definitely doesn't taste like beer... but it's pretty amazing compared to the the crap they had 20 years ago.

In regard to the theme of the thread, I'll have drinks here and there going forward I think... but I think I'm mostly done drinking.
If I'd have quit after my first I wouldn't be having my 3rd this year. The first year sleep will be better than any drink it's when they start talking back and you get calls from school. Then alcohol (in moderation of course) is your friend.

Most, not all, but most of the assholes I've known who drank themselves to death weren't worth a pinch of porpoise shit anyway. It can get a hold of some people like heroin to a junkie.
I like an IPA in the evening but had to quit. Just doesn't agree with me anymore.

I’m sure that’s true in your case, but of those I mentioned previously, the majority were good people, mostly productive members of society, and had better than average childhoods. Looking at them at 16 youd never guess their ends. I think alcoholism, drunk driving, etc. - it can affect about anyone.

Many people I went to school with have gone down a dark path due to booze and drugs.

My close friends and I mostly dont drink anymore. A few of us are dealing with PTSD from our time in the service and have come to the conclusion booze is just not worth it anymore. If I drink its socially and for a special occasion, and its maybe one drink. Other then that, I dont touch the stuff, its a waste of my time and money, and soul.

Worthwhile topic. Alcohol destroyed many in my Dad's family, including him. He died from it at age 62. His last ten years were pretty much non-functioning. He ruined a lot of relationships and pissed away a life of blessings the bottle couldn't allow him to realize.

Unfortunately, it took his younger sister, at an even younger age.

I saw many high school friends follow that same path. My Dad's example was enough to discourage me and my siblings from following that difficult path.
Very similar family except for the fact that it didn't stop with my siblings and I...at a crossroad and need to figure it out sooner than later probably. My brother at just shy of 30 is probably so far deep I don't see anything changing and don't see a real long life expectancy which is sad because he is probably the most talented person I personally know when he applies himself.

Moderation, in a lot of things, is the key to life.
Yes, however, this isn’t a reality for many people—and it’s not a matter of willpower. When I was drinking, I had no off-switch, despite very much wanting to have one. Countless mornings I’d wake up, wondering what the hell happened and what had I done and I would swear to myself and God that I’d never do it again. Later that afternoon I’d be back at it. I couldn’t live with it, and I couldn’t live without it, and it was destroying my relationships, life, and soul.

There was a time when alcohol was fun. It cut out all the self-consciousness noise I constantly had buzzing inside of me. That was part of the attraction initially. But that phase didn’t last long, and l soon found I had a hard time doing anything without it, despite the turmoil it was creating. I tried moderating or quitting on my own many, many times, but always went back to it and it only got worse.

Then I joined a little secret society and, with the help of a higher power and a hell of a lot of painful work, I finally got (and have been able to stay) sober. If I keep doing what I’ve been doing, it’ll be 11 years in April. I can honestly say that it is the best decision I’ve ever made. All the good things in my life can directly attributed to sobriety.

Many people can moderate, but for those who cannot, there is a way out. It won’t be easy, but it’ll be worth it.

Thanks for the poignant thread, @Nameless Range.

My best friend died in a drunk driving accident in a vehicle that another friend was driving in 2012.
A few years prior two guys I went to high school with died in a drunk driving accident.
Last year it was the little sister of a good friend in a drunk driving accident.

My aunt had a severe alcohol problem that nobody else in the family seems to have. She died from it in her 40s.

I like to drink a couple beers but the world would be way better without it.

My Dad's side of the family were all....uncles, aunts, my dad....functional alcoholics. All started drinking the moment they got off work everyday. Spent all their lives in working class oblivion, even though they all were skilled folks, because they decision making skills were for shiz. I had my part of heavy drinking in college but the motivation to be better than what I lived with was always stronger. These days I have the occasional drink (more in the summer by the pool ;) ) but don't have the need for excess.

Another part of my motivation to stay away from being too altered was the crack epidemic of the 80s. I grew up in the inner city in Indianapolis. Gangs and crack were literally everywhere. Before I graduated there were 5 folks murdered in my class....all related to crack or a gang. 2 guys who were on D1 basketball scholarships went to federal prison. A LARGE percentage of our class did time in one way or another. The lives ruined and lost still eat at me. Thankfully most of my close friends and football teammates are ok now.

One girl I went to school with was dead by age 33 because of drinking. My little sister's boyfriend drank himself to death by 50. I've known a few others but none very close to me. I've known too many killed by other people's reckless drinking. I even know one gal that was drunk as usual fighting with her drunk boyfriend as usual when she pressed the barrel of a .38 to his chest. He yelled "go ahead, shoot." It turns out that isn't the thing to say to a drunk woman holding a gun to your chest. I've seen plenty of relationships destroyed by alcohol and enough people living seemingly meaningless lives because of it but by far most people I know have a drink or two every now and then and have no problem. I don't know what pushes some over the edge.

Question for those with it in the family without creating a sequel to trading places do you think it is genetic or enviromental?? I have my opinion but am curious to what others think.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back