Alaskan Bear vs MT/WY Bear

Retap45

Whats your opinion?
When Hunting in bear country the Alaskan Bears are much more afraid of humans than bears around Yellowstone?

Well, all of Alaska is bear country, so there is that. I’ ve seen bears walk right through camp on the Alaska Penninsula and a few miles north of the park in Montana. I was changing the oil on that Suburban when that 2 year old walked by. I’ve seen bears cut man scent on streams in Alaska and run like a scalded dog. Same in Montana. Often time seen Bears run like hell when we came in on Floats or tundra tires in Alaska. Others would just look up and keep fishing or eating berries. Seen bears run like hell when quads or truck came down the road. Others just look up.
Inside the parks I would opine the bears in Katmai are much more tolerant than the bears in Yellowstone.
But bears are bears. The minute you think you know what a bear is going to do, particularly griz, you’re likely going to learn something new.

Attachments

• IMG_3636.jpeg
    IMG_3636.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
AK bears are friendly.
53260597969_c64c516069_4k.jpg

Montana bears always make me more nervous. The bears in Alaska seem more mellow. I read a letter from AK biologist who felt Treadwell wouldn't have lasted a day in Montana. Who knows.

Alaskan bears won’t come in on the sounds of a gunshot? Yellowstone area bears will?

You'll probably find that Yellowstone bears have a lot more inter action with human's than Alaska bears. Imagine getting out of your car to hand feed an Alaskan bear some treats!

There may be a difference between interior Grizzlies and coastal Brown Bears in Alaska in terms of
behavior. In some areas on salmon streams daily human encounters may occur,
while in some areas of the interior human encounters may be once in a lifetime.

You'll probably find that Yellowstone bears have a lot more inter action with human's than Alaska bears. Imagine getting out of your car to hand feed an Alaskan bear some treats!
If you get out of your car and hike far enough to no longer hear the Harleys, then you will see bear tracks. But if practicing bear-aware precautions, you won't see the bears.

It is a dream of mine to hunt bear in Alaska but one that will probably never come true. What is the process for getting a bear hunt in Alaska?

Take out a second mortgage, call Joey Klutch, Phil Shoemaker or Phil Byrd and hand over the money. These three outfits probably have the three best areas on the peninsula.
If you talk to any one of these guys they will be complimentary of the others, they respect each other quite a bit.

Last edited:
I guided on the lower Alaska peninsula quite a bit years ago and thought that the big bears, especially in the fall, were like big whitetail bucks, often like shadows. We always cooked in our tents and never ever worries about it. Many of the big bears had birdshot or other projectiles in them when fleshing. I think they had been peppered while messing around set net sites in the summer.

One time I was sitting on the knob and saw a sow and two cubs cross a route we had walked once 4 days earlier across the tundra while wearing rubber hip boots. The sow came to our path, sniffed, huffed, swatted the two cubs and ran a beeline out of there until they disappeared over the horizon 2 miles away. Now that’s a nose.

In the spring bears seemed much less wary, but still never messed with camps or tolerated any bad wind at all. Interior grizzlies I am much more wary of and I avoid them at all costs, like the bears here in Montana. Veteran bear man Joe Want told me “if you think you know what a bears going to do you know more than the bear.”

Montana bears always make me more nervous. The bears in Alaska seem more mellow. I read a letter from AK biologist who felt Treadwell wouldn't have lasted a day in Montana. Who knows.
I believe that is a very accurate statement, That is, if he would’ve subjected himself within a high density area. Days at best

After having a few black bears sneak up to 15 yards behind me while fishing on a bog, and brownies show up on the river next to you. I'd be more worried about lower 48 grizz that don't get hunted or have a solid food supply..

All North American Brown bears are grizzlies. The Kodiak Browns are just isolated and genetically unique enough to be a different sub species but are still Brown Bears and Grizzlies.

Back