Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alaska

Big Slick

3 more get ups and the wife and I are on our way. Been chomping at the bit. Hope to have some good pics of some nice fish and story to go with it. Just don't know if we'll have internet where we are staying.

Where you headed?

Fishing has been pretty crappy around here (150 miles of Anchorage). We managed to boat some nice 'buts a couple days ago, but the slamen fishing on the rivers has been the pits. The Kasilof is the only river fishing well right now. The king fishing is again horrible, with fewer fish returning every year, this year being no exception.

Good fishing or bad fishing it beats the heck out of a day at work.

I've heard that the silvers are starting to show up around Seward and Valdez, the salt fishing is starting to heat up as well. Just wish the king and early red fishing would have been better this year.

Good luck on your trip!

We are heading out of Petersberg. Going to do some hallibut and salmon fishing on the inside. Hope they are biting, but I'll just take a good vacation and if the fish bite it will just be that much better.

We have some friends that live up there, it's about a 7 mile boat ride out of Petersberg. Not sure of the name of the island, but I do hear tell that they have a pretty big shin-dig for the 4th. So there you go, if you don't catch fish at least catch a buzz!lol

The kids are old enough to do there own thing so the wife and I are taking our first real vaca. I would be stoked if we saw killer whales.

Bambi you are right, still beat a day at work.

I just returned after 18days in AK last evening, but I was up on the Peninsula, my advice wouldn't help you for Petersberg, but have fun and boat plenty of fish.

Bambi, thanks for the heads up you gave me on Resurrection, was able to wade the surf and do pretty well on reds a 10-12 days ago. Did well on 'buts outta Seward as well, hammered some chickens out of Whisky Gulch side as well.

What??? No internet? What kinda fishin is that??? Bah, I say cancel Alaska and head to Colorado - Legend states Al Gore was in Colorado when he invented the internet... :D

Sounds like a great trip, Big Slick! Look forward to your return, great pics and always a good story :)

Thanks Van. I'll call you when I get back. The weekend of July 16th I may be out Sterling way if I don't have to work. Need to get a start on scouting.

Well we made it back from Petersburg, AK. I've been in Colorado for two days and I'm ready to head back north.We flew into Juneau, stayed the night and rode the fast ferry to Petersburg. If you have never riden the fast ferry I highly recommend it. As soon as we got to Petersburg I went straight to the emergency room at the hospital. Came down with a fever which was caused by cellulitis in my leg. Not much fun from the get go. This usually comes with a fever of 104F, which it acheived.

The only up side to me being sick was the fact that the weather and the fishing sucked so I relly wasn't missing out on anything. Rain and about 53F the first five days that we were there, felt nice after the heat had been turned up in Colorado before we left.

The folks we stayed with live on Kuprenauf Island, their boat is there car and they live about seven miles from town. After I went to Walmart yesterday I really envy the way they live. No dumb ass drivers and the scenery is to die for. The people are down to earth and know what it is like to work hard for what they have. Miss it already.

We finally got out on Thursday the 7th, we caught two halibutt and a ton of pcific cod. On the 8th we got out and caught eleven coho's, one king and four dolly varden. Which was a very exceptional day considering how slow it had been. The locals that took us out knew what they were doing for sure.

So I guess it sounds like things kind of went south with getting sick and the fishing being slow, but I would go back in a heart beat.

Big SLick, sorry to hear you got sick, but sounds like you made the best of it, and got some fish too. Good for you!

Sorry to hear about you getting sick, but it looks like you made the most of it. The wife and I are leaving in 5 days for Anchorage. 10 days of floating the Kenai, 1 day of chasing buts out of Deep Creek and a lot of fun with good friends in between! I know what you mean about missing Alaska as soon as you get home. Alaska is truly heaven on earth!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back