Alaska Caribou 2021

Thanks for the write up! Congrats on the bull. I always enjoy reading these stories.

awesome write up and a great trip!
As a resident myself I am wanting to do more of these types of trips by myself or with friends but need to get the gear to do it. Good job and a nice Caribou to Remember!

awesome write up and a great trip!
As a resident myself I am wanting to do more of these types of trips by myself or with friends but need to get the gear to do it. Good job and a nice Caribou to Remember!
Ha. Just saw that you're from North Pole. That's where my friend lives so I was in your neighborhood last week.

Ha. Just saw that you're from North Pole. That's where my friend lives so I was in your neighborhood last week.
YUP! I need to do a nice fly out Caribou hunt or drive up the Dalton. Time off is my biggest limiting factor - family of 7 (5 kids) and I only get 2 weeks of vacation a year. in 2.5 more years it will go up to three which will be fantastic.

Nice man. I'm glad you did the write up. Go's to show that the average guy can still get out.
I've done that drive and it's fantastic. For others the milepost book is kinda valuable.
If you do go take one make one like this

Thanks for sharing and great job! I hope to do a similar trip in the next couple years.

I'm already plotting on going back in a couple years. Everything about the trip was awesome, even the weather, which I didn't expect. Second morning we got a heavy dusting of snow but after that, it was low 30's at night and upper forties and sunny every day.
I'm happy to share via pm any info on the transporter for

I'm already plotting on going back in a couple years. Everything about the trip was awesome, even the weather, which I didn't expect. Second morning we got a heavy dusting of snow but after that, it was low 30's at night and upper forties and sunny every day.
I'm happy to share via pm any info on the transporter for anyone interested.
New to the forum and couldn't figure out how to send you a pm, but what was your total cost for this hunt?? Looking as possibly doing the dalton hwy hunt in the archery area and pack a rifle in case we need to venture out to the rifle zone.

Congrats on the adventure and bull!

New to the forum and couldn't figure out how to send you a pm, but what was your total cost for this hunt?? Looking as possibly doing the dalton hwy hunt in the archery area and pack a rifle in case we need to venture out to the rifle zone.

Congrats on the adventure and bull!
Thanks, it was quite the adventure and a great time. Fwiw, in the top right corner of your screen next to your username is a little envelope icon. Click that then 'start new conversation' and start typing in the user name of the person you want to Pm.

My costs may be a little skewed as I booked flights during the height of covid so I got really cheap tix. I used miles one way from Pittsburgh to Fairbanks that equated to around $220 and bought a return ticket, Fairbanks to Pittsburgh for $205. I'm lucky that one of my closest friends lives near Fairbanks so no hotels or rental cars. Bag fees suck so get a credit card from American or Alaskan to help offset and ship stuff up if you can.
We stayed overnight in Coldfoot for around $220 and again in Deadhorse for ~$170. I booked the transporter in 2019 so at the time, it was roughly $2200. I rented gear (tent, cots, cook stove, etc) for another $300. Prices have gone up since then.
Most car rental companies do not allow travel on the Dalton. I've seen a lot of guys rent uhaul pickups to go up and there are 2 companies that offer rentals specifically for off pavement use. Arctic Outfitters and Alaska 4x4 Rentals. These are a little spendy and looks like you gotta book well in advance.
Beyond that, if you're bow hunting the corridor, all you'd need is food and drink. I'd budget $1000 for plane tickets, $1200 for truck rental for a week and another $1000 for food, drink, gas. License was $140 plus Caribou tag at $650.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back