AK Sitka Blacktail

asdew1880

I noticed for some reason airfare seems to be really cheap.......hmmm. Anyway, I've started dreaming up a sitka blacktail hunt in SE AK for this upcoming season. I am looking for any tips or input on the logistics side. I'm thinking fly in to Juneau, get to a VRBO cabin rental somehow (prince of wales island, AK mainland or other island?) and hike up into the alpine areas to hunt during the day and possibly camp in the mountains if necessary. Im not sure on time of year, and what would make for a pleasurable hunt in terms of weather and deer activity. I would prefer hunting more open areas with the potential to spot and stalk as opposed to creeping through thick forests. I've read through the AK fish and game website and its a good start but I'm looking for a little more input. Any comments on what I'm overlooking or should be my top concerns etc?????

I noticed for some reason airfare seems to be really cheap.......hmmm. Anyway, I've started dreaming up a sitka blacktail hunt in SE AK for this upcoming season. I am looking for any tips or input on the logistics side. I'm thinking fly in to Juneau, get to a VRBO cabin rental somehow (prince of wales island, AK mainland or other island?) and hike up into the alpine areas to hunt during the day and possibly camp in the mountains if necessary. Im not sure on time of year, and what would make for a pleasurable hunt in terms of weather and deer activity. I would prefer hunting more open areas with the potential to spot and stalk as opposed to creeping through thick forests. I've read through the AK fish and game website and its a good start but I'm looking for a little more input. Any comments on what I'm overlooking or should be my top concerns etc?????
Planning for this hunt right now too. Too much gear to acquire for this year to happen

This year is like no other. In addition to gear, location, and strategy, it just as important to keep up to date with current Alaska regulations regarding Covid-19 travel into Alaska and within. This applies for residents and non-residents alike. Here is a link for the state's entry requirements.

https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/

Also be aware, that some smaller/village communities are more restrictive than state requirements and and are not particularly welcoming to anyone visiting their communities even if one meets these requirements. I only mention this because I live here, and am still trying to figure out how to visit some communities without raising an uproar. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Good luck

I'm no expert on the deer but I would do Kodiak in the open country. I did SE Alaska near Ketchikan and I didn't care for the thick jungle. Saw a couple of does, no bucks, and it was in early Nov.

I'm no expert on the deer but I would do Kodiak in the open country. I did SE Alaska near Ketchikan and I didn't care for the thick jungle. Saw a couple of does, no bucks, and it was in early Nov.
I'm from North Idaho, so I'm used to the jungle thing.

I made a mistake letting Mrs45 listen to the MeatEater podcast about their Afognak brown bear attack. For now Kodiak/Afognak are off the list.

Do a boat hunt on Kodiak. You can camp comfortably on the boat and hunt each day. You still have to deal with the bears, but at least you sleep soundly. We hunted off a boat in 2006 and out of the 6 people on the boat my partner and I were the only ones to see a bear. We did have to encourage him to go elsewhere, but it was an awesome hunt.

SE Alaska is a big place ... if your going to hunt Prince of Wales Is or that general area you would fly into Ketchikan ... same goes for Wrangell & Petersburg, they all have jet ports. If your going to hunt Admiralty Is or Douglas Is areas then you would use the Juneau jet port.

POW Island is popular because of the road system, infrastructure and the Island has and no Brown Bears. Most other areas in SE are remote roadless areas, except for Wrangell, Mitkoff & Kupreanof Islands which have some roads but less infrastructure.

So the more infrastructure the less logistical planning on your part. Also the SE Ak Jungle is very real and should not be taken lightly and planned for. Sometimes in So SE Ak ..... 10 feet can be a long ways.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back