Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Air or foam sleeping pad

Pa Bowhunter

Looking to get a sleep pad

What Is everyones thoughts on air vs foam

Pros and cons of each

Air is lighter, more comfortable for the weight, better R value, and takes up less space in a pack... IMHO the only option for bivy hunting. For car camping a big old foam pad, like a paco pad will sleep like your mattress at home and are the only way to go.

I don't know why you would even bother with those closed cell foam pads... other than cutting one up to use as a glassing seat.

I got back from AZ and my foam pad is covered in cactus needles. I don't think an air pad would work in that environment.

I got back from AZ and my foam pad is covered in cactus needles. I don't think an air pad would work in that environment.

Lol my pads have survived lots of desert trips... you might need to re-evaluate your camp selection or tent pitching procedures. Just bring some tyvek along, brush out a place for you to sleep and you won't have to worry about popping your pad.

Last edited:
Air is lighter, more comfortable for the weight, better R value, and takes up less space in a pack... IMHO the only option for bivy hunting. For car camping a big old foam pad, like a paco pad will sleep like your mattress at home and are the only way to go.

I don't know why you would even bother with those closed cell foam pads... other than cutting one up to use as a glassing seat.
Yep....

The closed cell foam pads don't provide much cushion. I prefer the inflatable pads, but they do require more site preparation to avoid punctures.

Air, and I bring 1/3 of a z-rest pad to sit on, and backup incase my pad pops and I can't fix it. I've only popped one pad in i'm not sure how many nights of use. I knew it happened as soon as I pushed on it.

For what it's worth I had the blow up Big Agnes pad that had baffles that ran the entire length, Kinda like a glorified $5 swim raft. I am a side sleeper and found it quite unconfortable. I then found the Klymit pads. They have baffles that run in a criss-cross odd pattern and I have found it to be quite comfortable for me. Next, bring a decent mini pillow, hunting clothes stuffed in a pillow case don't cut it for me.

I second Bambistews strategy. I do the exact same thing and it works great. The foam is my glassing pad, windscreen, camp chair, and backup sleep pad

I've taken a liking to the Thermarest Neoair pads. I'm strictly a side sleeper. I cannot sleep on a closed cell foam pad. But I do carry a chunk of it for glassing and sitting on in camp.

Air, and I bring 1/3 of a z-rest pad to sit on, and backup incase my pad pops and I can't fix it. I've only popped one pad in i'm not sure how many nights of use. I knew it happened as soon as I pushed on it.

I'm in the "both" or "two pad" category as well. Neoair is my main sleeping pad, but I take a z-lite as a sitting pad while glassing and put it under my tent to protect the tent and pad.

Air and a closed cell site pad. I like the Exped Synmat and Neoair series personally, plenty of good options though.

I've been sleeping in a tent for only about 55 years, so I don't know much about it. I've slept with nothing under me, and graduated up thru Thermarest mattresses and other stuff. These days, I just go to Walmart and buy a $7.00 Intex air bed that is 7" thick. I have a queen size, when my queen comes along and singles for the more lonely nights. Yes, they're a bit bulky and yes you have to carry a battery blower to inflate, but I sleep great! They're not for a backpacker, but then I pack them on my horses or when I'm tailgate camping. I'll never go back to a foam type pad. An air bed is super comfy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back