Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Against The Grain - Hunt Talk Edition

Nameless Range

This weekend was my 5 day weekend to hunt. On Friday, I went for what someone of my rotundness would be considered a death march.

FitnessTrack.PNG

I proceeded to come down with the flu and was laid up Saturday and Sunday.

This morning I got up, hell bent on achieving at least a half-assed morning hunt. Feeling like garbage, I fueled up with some Canadian Coffee.

WhiskeyAndCoffee.JPG

Since I was hunting near home, I rode my four wheeler to the bottom of the ridge I planned on hunting. 800 feet to the top. I'm weak as hell and I might die.

TheRidge.jpg

It's a beautiful spot to die. I'll give you that.

Good luck and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You'll get there.

Wearing cotton and with one in the chamber I struck out for the mountain.

As I neared the top, with the light buzz of the whiskey wearing off, I wondered if the sound of me barfing would call any critters in. This selfie was my Chris McCandless moment. Perhaps the last photo they'd find on my phone.

SickAsDog.JPG

Once I achieved the ridge, I did what any good hunter would do. I turned and put the wind at my back, using the breadth of my waist as a sail. This helped.

After only walking for a few minutes, a hundred yards off, I spied the Great White Buffalo of the Montana Hunter - a two point mule deer.

I went to get a better look through the binos but didn't have any. Same goes for my rangefinder. Same goes for my scope.

I leveled up on him and it felt right, so I sent 203 grains of the most toxic Soviet lead on the market his way.

ToxicSovietLead.jpg

Hope you brought a thermos full of "Canadian Coffee" for medicinal purposes.:cool:

Enjoying my (slowly shrinking) rotundness while eating lunch, chuckling at your subtle and not so subtle needling Nameless. I hope you make sure to go out of your way to hike all 4 hooves out of the woods with you.

The deer shuddered. It was a good hit. The bullets fly until the spirit's in the sky, and I shot him one more time as he took off. Both shots were fatal.

I walked up on him and was pleased.

twopoint3.jpg

He had been rubbing some greenery with the base of his antlers.

twopoint2.jpg

RubbinTheGreen.jpg

We had a moment, and thanked him and spoke to him about shooting who I think was his father or cousin, a couple years ago on this same ridge - two point as well.

cousin.JPG

We call that Cowboy Coffee, only our whiskey might not be quite as smooth as yours!! Is there a good ending?!! Your pictures showed up just as I Posted. Nice two pointer!!

As I took stock of the situation I began feeling lordly, as another Montana Golden Goose was at my fingertips. It was an 800 foot drop and a few hundred yard drag to the four wheeler. This deer was coming out whole.

Together we rolled down the mountain as he descended the high country one last time. We stopped by this mine shaft, and I was grateful that in my despair I didn't chuck myself into it on the way up.

MineShaft.JPG

Beautiful, I will be rolling down the highway with a deer on a four wheeler trailer - and perhaps the tongue will even hang out.

tongue.jpg

I was pleased with what the cheap Russian bullet did. His heart was gone.

InchHole.JPG

A garage with critters hanging in it warms my heart. It is its own November Christmas Tree.

NovembersXmasTree.JPG

Before I showered I set the tenderloins to marinating, and had another cup of coffee, sans the whiskey.

TenderloinsAndCoffee.jpg

Here's to public lands and bucks with nothing but boogerin' does on their mind.

Knock a big 'un, and name 'em, more or less. More would be good on the range. /apologies if that gave you a headache on top of your other ills... It just looks like a Nameless Range and I must be envious you are out 'n about.

Edit:
Damn howdy! I just flipped through the posts and noticed, pictures!!?! How the heck did I miss pics? Bah, my bad... Read your first and made my post. Grats, Nameless. Great looking buck and what an enjoyable piece to put him down with.

Last edited:
best 2 pointers hunt story I've ever read. Good stuff all around. Vitamin R steely is a nice touch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back