Advice on purchase of range finder

jensen

What should I look for in a range finder for antelope. Brand, price, range, and battery life? What should I look for?

I'm no expert, but last year in Wyoming my Nikon 550(3 seasons old at the time) had trouble rangeing anything past 300 yards. Sometimes it would range out to 600, and sometimes it wouldn't range 400. It was real bright the days we hunted, but I wouldn't buy another.

I'll probably buy the Leupold or Vortex 1,000 yard model when I get a chance to upgrade.

I like my Nikon Monarch real well. It seems to me that the quality of a range finder is in direct relationship to how much money you are willing to spend. Leica is a real hard one to beat, but is expensive.

You definitely want a 1000 yard range finder. The ratings are for highly reflective surfaces in optimal conditions. I have a Leupold with TBR (True Ballistic Range) which uses input from the inclinometer to compensate for uphill/downhill shots. I have ranged animals out to 800 yards with it and can't imagine hunting without it. Last year on an antelope hunt, I ranged a goat at 700 yards and ranged a cedar at 400. I knew when I made that particular cedar I was at 300. Saved me from stopping and ranging at each point of cover. I have also ranged places across a canyon and took the bearing from the internal compass, then moved the cross hairs on my GPS that distance and bearing to load a waypoint to set up on that glassing spot the afternoon. Drove around the canyon and hiked in without having to put my stink in the bottom of the canyon. Lots of uses for a rangefinder besides the obvious.

You definitely want a 1000 yard range finder. The ratings are for highly reflective surfaces in optimal conditions. I have a Leupold with TBR (True Ballistic Range) which uses input from the inclinometer to compensate for uphill/downhill shots. I have ranged animals out to 800 yards with it and can't imagine hunting without it. Last year on an antelope hunt, I ranged a goat at 700 yards and ranged a cedar at 400. I knew when I made that particular cedar I was at 300. Saved me from stopping and ranging at each point of cover. I have also ranged places across a canyon and took the bearing from the internal compass, then moved the cross hairs on my GPS that distance and bearing to load a waypoint to set up on that glassing spot the afternoon. Drove around the canyon and hiked in without having to put my stink in the bottom of the canyon. Lots of uses for a rangefinder besides the obvious.

^^^ Gets my vote.

Ranging antelope is probably the toughest test for a rangefinder. Just because it says it's a 1200 yard finder, don't mean it will range game that far. I have a Nikon Monarch Gold, and a buddy has the Leica. In good conditions, my Nikon hangs in there at 1/2 the price. But conditions aren't always good either. Antelope in stubble is where the Leica really out does my Nikon. Get the best one you can afford, and the longest rated range, even if you won't use the max range. mtmuley

I have the 1000 yd leupold with the TBR. It has been a great rangefinder so far. One of my hunting partners got the vortex last year, and he would do the leupold if he could do it again.

I would go with the Leupold or the Vortex, those are the two we use most. My dad and I have the Vortex my uncle has the Leupold. I like them both.

I have a Leica 1600. I am both happy and impressed by its clarity and how well it performs out to long distances. I bought it last season and have ranged distances out to around 1,350 yards on rocks, and I have ranged some elk at over a 1,000. Obviously I am not shooting at stuff from that far away but I did like messing around with it estimating how far some things are. Only thing my Leica cant do that I wish it could is to have the inclinometer to tell me the true ballistic range. But I am pretty sure Leica offers a model with this.

I have a Leupold 1000i TBR. At the time it was the best archery/mid range rifle rangefinder I could get for a decent price. However, Leica has since released their new 1000R. For me, it is the perfect finder.
Two modes only; line of sight, and angle comp.
The LOS mode goes out to 1000, probably 700+ for Antelope.
Angle comp goes out to 600 and is cosine only, no ballistics. I shoot in my rifle marks (200,400,600) just as I do for my bow so a ballistics modified solution will give incorrect distances.
Leupold is $350
Leica is $599

I just bought a Leupold 1000 TBR DNA (and a mix of other acronyms) and will put it to the test in two weeks in WY. IME bright sunlight on flat ground is the hardest test for a rangefinder. I chose the Leupold over the Leica due to warranty and moreso due to customer service!

Leica for sure. I had a LRF900 for years just upgraded last year to the 1600-B which gives u true balistic range. Tried the Leupold 1000 didnt like it my old Leica out performed it. Traded it for the new leica and have ranged objects to 1480 in good conditions 900 in very very poor conditions.

I have owned 2 Leupold rangefinders and would never buy another one. They don't work as advertised and they have too many gimmick options (DNA, TBR, trophy scale, etc.) and modes that can be confusing especially if settings are messed with. I remember one of the ones I had there were settings for less than 150 yards, greater than 150, rain, etc... I just need to know how far it is, don't want to worry about all the settings having to be changed every time I use it.

. For the money Nikon is hard to beat and for a little more you can get something like a zeiss, leica, swaro, etc... Been curious about the vortex, I have been impressed with their stuff.

Leica for me as well. Probably one of the most important pieces of gear for antelope hunting is a good rangefinder.

Spend the money and get a Leica...Last rangefinder you'll buy.

Agreed. I've given away a number of brands before getting the Leica. Doesn't have piles of features but is simple stupid. To many others returned due to complex functions and poor reliability.

Back