Advice needed

BradA

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I’m going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I’m just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What’s your experience?

Somebody like @ImBillT or @brockel will need to confirm the spin/stable math, but in general, you are supposed to go down 10-15% in bullet weight when moving from lead to copper to account for longer per grain copper bullets and their zero loss of mass at impact. So, in general, if you would normally shoot a 165 grain lead bullet a 150 grain mono copper is spot on. FWIW - I shoot 150gn TTSX out of a WSM loaded hot and it is a tack driver that has taken 1,200 lb game in SA.

Somebody like @ImBillT or @brockel will need to confirm the spin/stable math, but in general, you are supposed to go down 10-15% in bullet weight when moving from lead to copper to account for longer per grain copper bullets and their zero loss of mass at impact. So, in general, if you would normally shoot a 165 grain lead bullet a 150 grain mono copper is spot on. FWIW - I shoot 150gn TTSX out of a WSM loaded hot and it is a tack driver that has taken 1,200 lb game in SA.

I’ll usually just use bergers stability calculator. Makes life easier

I’m with @VikingsGuy, I think you’ll be just fine with the 150 gr e-tips. I don’t have a 28 Nosler, but that same bullet works great in my 7RM. You’ll be moving 200 fps quicker, but you’ll still be plenty stable, and hit plenty hard.

I’m not a mono bullet advocate, per se, but the 150 mono will do just fine with no stabilization problems. If the Nosler E-tip is accurate in your rifle then shoot it and don’t look back.

My experience with monos (and some disagree) is that they don’t provide the “dead right there” performance that bonded lead bullets (read “Nosler Accubonds”) do. But they kill fine and give exit wounds every time, leaving decent blood trails.

I’m not a mono bullet advocate, per se, but the 150 mono will do just fine with no stabilization problems. If the Nosler E-tip is accurate in your rifle then shoot it and don’t look back.

My experience with monos (and some disagree) is that they don’t provide the “dead right there” performance that bonded lead bullets (read “Nosler Accubonds”) do. But they kill fine and give exit wounds every time, leaving decent blood trails.
I have had a dozen or so drop in their spot kills with ttsx. Just anecdotal, but so are all the other discussions like this.

I think the more valid question is will the e-tips shoot good in your gun. I haven’t had great luck with factory nosler loads in the 28’s in a couple guns I’ve worked with.

Too fast? Lol. If they shoot good tell your buddy you tried em out and the jackets stayed connected. Lol.

if I was taking my 28 to ak or anywhere for that matter I would be flinging the bullet I built the gun for (195’s) but 180 vlds would do just fine, as would 168’s as would 150 solids.. whatever, shoot the damn thing in the vitals and it’s gonna die.

If it makes ya feel better when I was breaking in my 28 I had a bunch of 150 ablr I couldn’t get to shoot worth a piss in my 7 rm. they shot just fine out of my 8 twist 28 @ almost 3300.

Last edited:
I think the more valid question is will the e-tips shoot good in your gun. I haven’t had great luck with factory nosler loads in the 28’s in a couple guns I’ve worked with.

Too fast? Lol. If they shoot good tell your buddy you tried em out and the jackets stayed connected. Lol.

if I was taking my 28 to ak or anywhere for that matter I would be flinging the bullet I built the gun for (195’s) but 180 vlds would do just fine, as would 168’s as would 150 solids.. whatever, shoot the damn thing in the vitals and it’s gonna die.

If it makes ya feel better when I was breaking in my 28 I had a bunch of 150 ablr I couldn’t get to shoot worth a piss in my 7 rm. they shot just fine out of my 8 twist 28 @ almost 3300.
Some bullets shoot in a rifle, some don't. Weird. mtmuley

FWIW I shoot the 150 factory e tips in my 28 Nosler when hunting in California. My rifle shoots them very well and even better than the 165 accubonds which I prefer for elk.. and I have killed 3 bucks in the last 2 years with the e tips . If your rifle shoots them accurately use them.

Just to be clear did you buy 200 rounds of the e tips for break in before trying them?? That’s a lot of rounds to purchase if your not sure how your rifle will shoot them

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back