Advice for my daughter about shooting. Update with a picture!!!

HuntingJudge

We have a little issue going on in our house. My Daughter is a sophomore in Highschool and has been hunting with me for years now. She has shot four bucks and a couple does including a really nice buck. This season we were out on the Youth hunt her last year and she missed a great buck, she shot 4 times and the deer was gone. We have now been with in 200 yards on two bucks and under 75 on another. she will not shoot. I believe she is afraid to miss again (she said something is wrong on each of them) I am of the mind set of if it doesn't feel right don't do it, but I think she is making things not feel right. Now this girl is hard on herself, if she gets a B in school she is not happy. My wife and I are not hard on the kids at all, "as long as you did your best that is all we could ever ask for" is how we live in our family.

How can I help her with the shooting situation?

Any advice on getting her over the hump?

Last edited:
small game shooting with a .22 or pellet rifle. Make it so missing isn't so traumatic. Eurasian Collared Doves are perfect. Plentiful, no limit and tasty to eat.

When shooting at the range, shoot at animal life size targets and end on a hit.

If you can hunt with her in a general(not youth) season , tell her you are backing her up..

Sounds like her confidince has been shaken a bit. Do you have any steel targets and a place to set them up and shoot at various distances? My daughter does not like going to a public range and shooting paper. She thinks everyone is watching and thinks folks are going to judge how she shoots and wants to leave as soon as we get there.

Now if we go and setup steel targets and it is just us or family friends, all the rounds I brought will be gone before we head home.

The steel targets give that visual and audio feedback, you know right away when that steel swings you hit your mark. Once she can hit that steel at 200 or 300 the first time everytime it may help. I wish you the best of luck

These are my choice for .22 or Pellet rifle practice

We are in the general season, tomorrow will be just her and I hunting. That might make it a bit better on her. My son and daughter have this rivalry going on right now so I think that plays in a bit.

Thanks, you. FOr some reason I did not even think of taking back out to the range. We might have to do that after our morning hunt tomorrow.

I would try an old trick that Chuck Adams used to write about when he experienced target panic. Start shooting really close at a really big bulls eye... then start shrinking the bull and moving back.

If it isn't target practice not sure. Doesn't sound like she became recoil shy since she has shot before, but if it happened, go buy her a PAST pad. Works like a charm. Both my older daughters use one on their 243's and I use them in the summer time when shooting in a t shirt.

Here is a update to the issue. We were up early Tuesday morning, found ourselves on top of a glassing location. I saw a group of deer heading across the private to a public section and could make out a buck. They were a ways away and with low light, I could not tell how good the buck was. My daughter and I talked, I said there was a great chance we could get on the deer. I told her that she needs to not think about everything that could go wrong and that only good thoughts were allowed on this stalk. We made our way to a rise in the hill the deer looked like they would cross behind and I could see tips of the horns coming. I got her set up on her tripod and as soon as the deer was clear I said there is your shot. She let it ring and could hear the hit. "I hit him" I said yep you did and to keep on the deer. He spun and gave her another shot and she put it right where it needed to be. I marked the deer on my on x, we drove as close as we could to it and that is it.

Some time I forget how much hunting does for different people. My daughter was very emotional when we got up to the deer. Not that she had killed something, but accomplished she overcame a internal issue she was having, and that she was able to provide for the family (this is what she takes so much pride in). Thanks for all of your tips, and I am going to spend extra time with her at the range over the next season.

Attachments

• eleace deer.jpg
    eleace deer.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 143
Good on you both for sticking with it. This will be a valuable lesson learned for your daughter. Kids need to know that they can do hard things.

Good job, Dad!

Frame worthy image capture @HuntingJudge

Provision for the family, and a very personal hurdle cleared by your daughter.

Congratulations to the both of you.

We have a little issue going on in our house. My Daughter is a sophomore in Highschool and has been hunting with me for years now. She has shot four bucks and a couple does including a really nice buck. This season we were out on the Youth hunt her last year and she missed a great buck, she shot 4 times and the deer was gone. We have now been with in 200 yards on two bucks and under 75 on another. she will not shoot. I believe she is afraid to miss again (she said something is wrong on each of them) I am of the mind set of if it doesn't feel right don't do it, but I think she is making things not feel right. Now this girl is hard on herself, if she gets a B in school she is not happy. My wife and I are not hard on the kids at all, "as long as you did your best that is all we could ever ask for" is how we live in our family.

How can I help her with the shooting situation?

Any advice on getting her over the hump?
The more times shooting will increase confidence

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back