Adventures in Wolf Hunting

Very cool! Grats on the continued efforts success! I've a few months for '19/20 season and one year remaining for my personal set goal. A few weeks ago, I had ad a pack in thick pine country, called using a rabbit squealing deal. They moved in though never had a shot. Sharp buggers!

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Very cool! Grats on the continued efforts success! I've a few months for '19/20 season and one year remaining for my personal set goal. A few weeks ago, I had ad a pack in thick pine country, called using a rabbit squealing deal. They moved in though never had a shot. Sharp buggers! Great story! Thanks for sharing.

They are absolutely the most difficult animal in N. America to specifically hunt.

Wow, that's really something! Cool that you're willing to put that much time and effort into wolf hunting.

Awesome read, thank you! Crazy how we talk about point creep, glory tags, etc. The reality of it is there are so many amazing hunts you can just go and do.

Wow, that's really something! Cool that you're willing to put that much time and effort into wolf hunting.

Predator hunting is all I'm interested in. Wolves, lion, bear, coyotes, it doesn't matter. Wasting my time looking for deer or elk is about as appealing as an afternoon on the couch watching Oprah with my mother in law. :)

What state are you hunting wolves?

Montana requires orange only during general elk/deer rifle season.

View attachment 121791
Here we only have to wear it during the 9 day gun deer season. And during that period if you hunt waterfowl you don’t need it. Every other day of the year we can wear camo.

Last edited:
Predator hunting is all I'm interested in. Wolves, lion, bear, coyotes, it doesn't matter. Wasting my time looking for deer or elk is about as appealing as an afternoon on the couch watching Oprah with my mother in law. :)

congratulations on your hunt. They are for the most part an "encountered" or "opportunity" harvest for us. We have no limits on the number we can hunt and in some cases the Govt have even ask us to eliminate a many as possible , in an effort to help increase the Caribou numbers. ( although mineral development is far more detrimental to the caribou ). They have paid up to 1500 dollars per and when that happens we hunt them, otherwise just opportunity kills.

your post above is interesting. There was a thread earlier about hunting the Big Bears, and Lions. some had no interest in those types of hunts and others liked them. There is a difference between ( in my opinion ) a predator hunt and and adrenaline hunt. A wolf is not as exciting as a White Bear, or as challenging as a goat, or as tasty as a moose, but when the Govt pays, we hunt them :)

There was a thread earlier about hunting the Big Bears, and Lions. some had no interest in those types of hunts and others liked them. There is a difference between ( in my opinion ) a predator hunt and and adrenaline hunt. A wolf is not as exciting as a White Bear, or as challenging as a goat, or as tasty as a moose, but when the Govt pays, we hunt them :)

I have had the opportunity to hunt a lot of amazing places. While I have never hunted polar bear, I have hunted goat and moose. I have also taken elephant (9yds frontal brain) after 8 days of walking and stalking in extreme heat and cape buffalo, among other "adrenaline" species. I will argue that there is NOTHING in N. America more difficult to intentionally hunt than wolves. Calling one, or a pack in close in heavy timber is still exciting to this day. When I refer to hunting them, I am talking about on foot in big country, not just taking one incidentally or roaring around the prairie on a snowmachine and shooting one. I have given serious thought to retiring and spending my money on nothing but one 14 day ele hunt a year and living out of my truck hunting predators across the west the rest of the time. That would be a life well lived!

Last edited:
JCS271. Good for you on all three counts . You have been there, done that, and enjoyed doing so. Was successful in your new quest ( wolf hunting ) and have a plan for retirement . Best of luck on all your plans

I think my favorite "adrenaline" was lion, but an elephant at 9 yards would certainly rate right up there (-:. As to difficult, one can not argue that hunting the wolf is a tough hunt. I also thought the Himalayan snow @#)(# was a tough hunt and physically, I still think chasing a cougar and a pack of dogs is strictly a young man ( or woman's ) game.

I only hunted the Polar Bear on one occasion and did not find it to be the adrenaline hunt, that the lion ( or elephant, cape buffalo, hippo, or coastal brown bears ) was. But the "adventure" of hunting them was magnificent.

But, back to "Wolves". I was surprised to see Wolves ( several of them ) following us on more than one occasion when in Nunavut. When there I ask how they hunt them and was told that if you follow a caribou herd that you can usually see them, but if purposely eliminating them by Govt. order then they use a helicopter ( which is not the type of hunting your referring to, I understand, just sharing) They told me that they ( wolves ) wonder into their villages and camps on occasion without issue from man or beast. Which I found interesting since I have had people who live in Alaska tell me that they might see a wolf once every two years or so.

Anyway, maybe Panda will respond again, as I know they hunt them, as well as wolverine and lynx.

P.s. just remembered, they also leave/provide a "gut pile" and wait.

I have had the opportunity to hunt a lot of amazing places. While I have never hunted polar bear, I have hunted goat and moose. I have also taken elephant (9yds frontal brain) after 8 days of walking and stalking in extreme heat and cape buffalo, among other "adrenaline" species. I will argue that there is NOTHING in N. America more difficult to intentionally hunt than wolves. Calling one, or a pack in close in heavy timber is still exciting to this day. When I refer to hunting them, I am talking about on foot in big country, not just taking one incidentally or roaring around the prairie on a snowmachine and shooting one. I have given serious thought to retiring and spending my money on nothing but one 14 day ele hunt a year and living out of my truck hunting predators across the west the rest of the time. That would be a life well lived!

We have a few men here who promote and sell "predator hunts" for wolf, lynx, wolverine. They use snowmobiles for the most part. I have seen wolves on occasion, but usually when I am not hunting. I think the Yukon and Northwest Territories are similar to Alaska, but Nunavut ( which I have never visited ) has to be an entirely different animal, no pun intended

Like all things, we each have a different perspective on what is hardest, most challenging, exciting, etc. That first elephant was something I dreamed of for over 30yrs and was truly an amazing experience that I still think about every single day. But my most personally rewarding adventure was specifically hunting, calling and taking a wolf on the ground with my longbow. It took me a few years to get it done but it was all worth it in the end. As long as people are outdoors and enjoying the challenge of the hunt, no matter the species, life is good. JCS

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back