Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Actual Weight of Meat - Can we be honest?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Last time I took my stuff to a cut shop we did the math on it and it came out to like 25 bucks a pound I called them and asked if they missed anything guy said no and got all sorts of pissy with me. Later that year I found a tag from a kid in the next town over he gave me that kids antelope

Shot our biggest bodied whitetail that we've actually weighed this year. This link I've posted previously was spot-on with our field dressed vs. meat findings. The chart seems pretty accurate in the comparisons I've done on the upper end of the scale.

This thread has some really great information. Here are the weights of my 2023 Montana 5x5 bull, this bull was carefully quartered and weighed so these should be fairly accurate. Quarters were hide off and lower leg removed at the knee. The last three bulls I've weighed each had 39 pound front quarters (with brisket) and none exceeded 62 pound hind quarters. Skull still had the lower jaw on.
Elk Meat Weights.JPG

Last edited:
I shot an average sized cow elk this fall. Due to time constraints I took all four bone-in quarters to a processor. Total weight was 131# of bone in quarters. Unfortunately I did not weigh the back straps, loins and trimmings that I kept and processed at home. I can update this post if/when I get a total weight of processed meat.

The largest elk (body) I have ever personally packed was a buddies 5x5 on opening day of archery, 2017. Rear quarters were 72 and 73 lbs, fronts combined were 90 lbs, backstraps/loins/neck bag was 60 lbs, and the cleaned skull and antlers was 25 lbs. All quarters were bone in, hide off. I don't know how much he ended up netting, but we packed 320 lbs of bone in elk out of that hell hole. Why bone in? Of the 50+ animals I have packed out on my back in the last 9 years, I have boned out not a one. Cuz I am stupid.

2023 - All boneless and completely trimmed
Cow Elk - 100 pounds - lost estimated 15 points to broadhead carnage on hind quarter
3 doe antelope - 16 pounds (real old and looked like she was deteriorating), 18 pounds (young), and 23 pounds (beautiful)
Mule Deer Doe - 35 pounds

I must trim with my eyes closed compared to some of your numbers! My personal estimates when I am getting ready for the seasons are :
Doe Antelope - 15 - 25
Buck Antelope - 20 - 40
Doe Deer - 35 - 50
Buck Deer - 50 - 70
Cow Elk - 100 - 140
Bull Elk - 120 - 200

2023 - All boneless and completely trimmed
Cow Elk - 100 pounds - lost estimated 15 points to broadhead carnage on hind quarter
3 doe antelope - 16 pounds (real old and looked like she was deteriorating), 18 pounds (young), and 23 pounds (beautiful)
Mule Deer Doe - 35 pounds

I must trim with my eyes closed compared to some of your numbers! My personal estimates when I am getting ready for the seasons are :
Doe Antelope - 15 - 25
Buck Antelope - 20 - 40
Doe Deer - 35 - 50
Buck Deer - 50 - 70
Cow Elk - 100 - 140
Bull Elk - 120 - 200
I trimmed pretty heavily this year compared to normal and it was 53#trim to 460# start. So about 11.5%. I normally trim much less and keep more fat on/take less meat but in the spirit of being quicker and knowing that I was turning it into dog food, I felt good with that. Based on some of your numbers maybe you aren't taking it all out of the field or maybe you do trim too much fat? Do you take the skirt steak and entire flanks? Those pieces are quite a bit of meat on an elk, less so on a deer but still a few pounds. How about all of the meat between the ribs? How about the neck meat all the way up to the back of the skull? The neck meat on male specimens can account for a huge percentage of the meat haul. On my AK elk for example, the massive thick neck is what really stood out to me about its overall ridiculous size. I didn't weight them specifically but the meat bag that had all the neck meat in it was a plump full load - so probably 70-80#.

There are legitimately huge individual animals, but I wonder if occasionally folks don’t pick up their meat and processors don’t pawn it off on folks and act like they just shot huge animals. Who doesn’t want to think they shot a massive elk.
Wait, what? Welcome to HT?

anyone wanna guess what my total one trip backpack weight was on my mini forky shot last night?

i emptied the water bladder and had the gun strapped to my pack. no extra food left, about 15 oz of gatorade zero left in a gatorade bottle, and some extra outer layer down bottoms and coat.

IMG-4977.jpg

anyone wanna guess what my total one trip backpack weight was on my mini forky shot last night?

i emptied the water bladder and had the gun strapped to my pack. no extra food left, about 15 oz of gatorade zero left in a gatorade bottle, and some extra outer layer down bottoms and coat.

View attachment 303251
Depending how much you boned out, but if it was minimal boning, would make a WAG of 92# total pack weight with rifle included.......

Depending how much you boned out, but if it was minimal boning, would make a WAG of 92# total pack weight with rifle included.......

73 lbs

Smallest deer I’ve ever shot/field processed.

I was in disbelief when I pulled the first quarter off.

If you threw this on the table in front of me without telling me what it was I’d say it was a doe pronghorn.

IMG_5035.jpeg

My bulls quarters - bone in with lower leg removed were #56ish for the hinds and #35ish for the fronts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back