AccuBond vs AccuBond LR

Lyfter1013

Just want to see what everyone else experience is with Accubond LR bullets. I’m not a long range guy by any means but
Comparing the ballistics of the accubond vs the AccuBond LR the LR have higher energy and velocity downrange with heavier bullets. My only question is does Anyone have any experience with shooting game at short ranges with the LR bullets? How do they perform do they not hold together as well at the higher velocities? Or do they perform similar to the standard AccuBond?

I shot a cow elk with a 150 grain ABLR, from a 7mm-08. 200 yard shot, so impact velocity was probably around 2500fps. I found the bullet under the hide on the off-side. It had lost about 40% of its mass.

So, I can't complain at all about the performance I got. But, if it loses 40% at 2500 fps, I'd be concerned about using them on elk at high velocities. I think regular AB's are a better choice for tough critters, unless you know you're going to be shooting at longer ranges.

Anyone have any experience with shooting game at short ranges with the LR bullets? How do they perform do they not hold together as well at the higher velocities? Or do they perform similar to the standard AccuBond?
I shot a bull at about 80 yards with a 210 grain LRAB at 3100 fps. He was basically facing me, bullet hit just above the brisket. Had to shoot him again. Bullets came apart. Went right back to the regular Accubond. mtmuley

I shot a cow elk with a 150 grain ABLR, from a 7mm-08. 200 yard shot, so impact velocity was probably around 2500fps. I found the bullet under the hide on the off-side. It had lost about 40% of its mass.

So, I can't complain at all about the performance I got. But, if it loses 40% at 2500 fps, I'd be concerned about using them on elk at high velocities. I think regular AB's are a better choice for tough critters, unless you know you're going to be shooting at longer ranges.

I shot a bull at about 80 yards with a 210 grain LRAB at 3100 fps. He was basically facing me, bullet hit just above the brisket. Had to shoot him again. Bullets came apart. Went right back to the regular Accubond. mtmuley

Thanks for the quick replies I was thinking of using the 175 ABLR out of my 28 Nosler for elk next year but with similar velocities that @mtmuley described I’m a little worried they wouldn’t hold up.

Accubond is very good, maybe one of the best. If you are using a high power rifle stay away from the LR. I used them in my .30 Nosler. Shot a cow at 327 yards. Bullet broke apart and put a football size hole coming out. Lower energy calibers maybe they are fine. I switched to solid copper in my .30 Nosler. I use regular Accubonds in my .28 Nosler. Shot a cow this year. Bullet stayed together perfectly.

Accubond is very good, maybe one of the best. If you are using a high power rifle stay away from the LR. I used them in my .30 Nosler. Shot a cow at 327 yards. Bullet broke apart and put a football size hole coming out. Lower energy calibers maybe they are fine. I switched to solid copper in my .30 Nosler. I use regular Accubonds in my .28 Nosler. Shot a cow this year. Bullet stayed together perfectly.
A 142g out of a creedmoor also put a football size hole in a mule deer at 80 yards.

A 142g out of a creedmoor also put a football size hole in a mule deer at 80 yards.
Well there you go. Big no on ABLR. I hear bad stories on some of the other fancy pants long range super high BC missiles too. ELDX and some others. But I have not tried them.

I love regular ABs in multiple calibers and have been my go to bullet for years. Tried the ABLRs and could not find the accuracy I was used to, so never used them on game.

Is there a Nosler rep on the forum that can chime in and shed light on the design of ABLR and what the max velocity they are meant to withstand and still perform as expected??

@Big Fin is there a Nosler rep on the forum? Or can you get us some insight?

Thanks elkantler was actually looking for the max velocity of the ABLR without it coming apart like other guys have mentioned they’ve had experience at higher velocity. I didn’t see anything on the Nosler website. After reading others I plan to stick with the AccuBond but am still curious.
My impact velocity was near 2600 on that mule deer. Large chunks of the off shoulder and ribs was strewn 5-10 past where the deer stood. It was a mess, never again.

My impact velocity was near 2600 on that mule deer. Large chunks of the off shoulder and ribs was strewn 5-10 past where the deer stood. It was a mess, never again.
Wow definitely crossing them off my list.. surprised guys even use them with what people that have responded on this thread with.

Wow definitely crossing them off my list.. surprised guys even use them with what people that have responded on this thread with.
It has great marketing and people think they need to shoot long range. For every one of our reviews there are 10 guys that would swear by it. But, you would also get the distance they shot at from and it’s score. They are not after meat in the freezer.

They were one of the only bullet designs I could get a hold of recently when starting some load development in 280AI, so I grabbed them. My understanding is they are similar to the original Accubond only in that the same bonding process is used to bond the jacket and core. Beyond that, I really consider them two very different bullets, similar in name only.

I also understand the ABLR is designed for its best performance at lower velocities, ie down range a ways, or just in a lower velocity cartridge. Id think as long as you're using it within the parameters of its design it's probably going to do well. Never known Nosler to make junk.

Has anyone tried the accubond vs accubond long range in .300 weatherby?
Currently using 200 gr eld-x and was wanting to try something different

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back