Abortion issues, not what you think

It's super common in the animal world (including human miscarriages)... resorbing fetuses/eggs when conditions aren't right, aborting fetuses for a variety of reasons (e.g. genetic abnormalities in fetus), abandoning offspring.

Very well known and documented phenomenon. Cervids, bovids, canines, rodents….spans the spectrum. Hunting Husband did his graduate work on bison reproduction and observed it in bison that were in poor body condition. I don’t know the actual mechanism of how it occurs. A quick Google search suggests maybe we don’t have a very good idea of the “how”.

I did some work on this for my Masters. It was in domestic livestock, but the mechanisms are probably very similar. We didn’t look at pregnancy maintenance, but we did show poor body condition results in selective regulation of reproductive hormones from the pituitary gland. You still get follicle formation and growth, but no ovulation.

I’m guessing there is a biological trigger that shuts down progesterone production and the pregnancy then terminates itself.

Maybe they were lying to see if their boyfriends would stay or not.

Very well known and documented phenomenon. Cervids, bovids, canines, rodents….spans the spectrum. Hunting Husband did his graduate work on bison reproduction and observed it in bison that were in poor body condition. I don’t know the actual mechanism of how it occurs. A quick Google search suggests maybe we don’t have a very good idea of the “how”.
Yes, and many non-mammals too. Fish, reptiles, lobsters...

With the different diseases affecting the whitetail populations and I stumble across this article, Just bring to mind how great mother nature is and her many jobs.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back