A Yank in England, Part 3

brymoore

As some of you may recall, Devon Deer (Richard) picked my name out of the internet hat to hunt deer in England with him. Later Lee Cooper offered to include a few days in Norfolk to the trip.

Timing and schedules prevented my family from joining me on the trip. I hunted six days do it’s a lot of content for a thread. I’ll give you some tidbits into the hunts.

The Devon countryside is beautiful. Lush green grass on rolling hills. Spring had started with daffodils blooming. I’m contrast, Idaho was having its third winter of 2019.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A typical hunt is that we’d glass in the dark with Richard’s thermal and then pursue animals if we saw any. I’m England the shooting hours are an hour before daylight and an hour after daylight. This made for some fun outings! We typically saw roe deer in most stalks but we’re spending our time chasing red deer. The red deer seemed to be one move ahead of us the whole trip. I saw plenty of fresh tracks and a few by long distance thermal.

As part of the hunt, we hunted Dartmoor park area for deer. The park is special with its moor grass. As dusk approached, the thermal died and we used our binos. With ten minutes of shooting light, we spotted two Farrow deer. After playing with the shooting sticks, I was able to shoot a fallow by moonlight. Richard shot the other. After cleaning, I rode with Richard to deliver the deer to the game dealer for sale. The whole process was very interesting.

attachment.php

The next morning I was able to take a roe doe. With that, we decided to spend my last evening trying for red deer. We approached the field, one of the farmers past us on his tractor towing a wagon. We had several roe out but passed hoping a lady light red stag would appear. As might slowly faded, Richard spotted several new dots in his thermal at an adjacent field where we didn’t have permission. We both stared at it for a while and declared the spots red deer. We stalked back to the truck and waited for the deer to come into our field. I was set up for the shot. After several minutes, Richard walked back and said what I thought was “shit”. With the accent barrier, I replied shit?, thinking something was wrong with the deer. Richard said, no, it’s shit! After a second, I realized we had stalked manure the farmer had spread. The temperature had dropped enough to make it glow in the thermal. We had a good laugh at that.

The next morning Richard helped me get two new tires for my rental. The learning curve for English driving was two tires for me. With new tires, I said goodbye to Richard and drove five hours to meet Lee in Norfolk.

Norfolk, in contrast to Devon, is completely flat. The whole area has former WWII US bomber bases every ten miles. We hunted next to two nd I took a side trip to visit the base my grandfather fought from.

attachment.php

attachment.php

In Norfolk, we’d concentrate the hunt on muntjac and Chinese Water deer although red and roe deer were available. Lee had stands at many of his fields. We’d start most hunts in a stand and then start stalking once we got bored of the stand.

I had several chances at CWD. We couldn’t shoot one due to shot angle being towards a road (this happened several times) or due to fading daylight. We had one CWD in a field at dusk growing at us sounding like a bobcat. Once again, I saw several red deer fresh tracks but no red deer. I’m starting to think they’re a myth. I was able to take a muntjac and a roe with Lee. (I can't figure out how to flip these pics)

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are so many things I could add to this thread. I want to thank Richard and Lee for their hospitality. Both have open invitations to hunt Idaho with me should they wish.

Last edited:
I’m having problems posting pics. I’ll get back with pics.

Almost fixed...

Last edited:
Looks like you had a great time at both locations. The story about the manure piles is a classic. Glad you were able to visit the location of where your grandfather was stationed. Those Muntjac are cooling looking little animals. Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

Last edited:
Glad you were able to put something on the ground. It's a neat place over there for sure. I know it's a small picture but the one where Richard is cleaning the deer sure reminds me of the spot we hunted where the Reds came through behind us just beyond that fence. I'm still waiting to hear about your tire issue. Mine cost be quite a bit when we returned the rental car to Heathrow!

It isn't the same place Dave, sadly I can't go there anymore (its a long story!), I asked if they would permit me to take Brymoore but it didn't happen, pity as I'm sure we would have nailed a red deer there.
Your tire cost £150 from memory, which is why I accompanied him to my local tire store, 2 tires for £90!
Cheers
Richard
Glad you were able to put something on the ground. It's a neat place over there for sure. I know it's a small picture but the one where Richard is cleaning the deer sure reminds me of the spot we hunted where the Reds came through behind us just beyond that fence. I'm still waiting to hear about your tire issue. Mine cost be quite a bit when we returned the rental car to Heathrow!

OK, hard to tell from the picture. The fence and the Holly trees (think that's right) just looked the same.

The tire money really surprised me at the time since it was an entirely different wheel that I had bent the rim. I was so nervous about them finding that damage that a "bubble" in the back tire just floored me! If they only knew...

Our hedges all look the the same in Devon:)

It made me laugh thinking about your alloy wheel and the 'repair' we did, hammer, screwdriver, block of wood and some silver spray paint I had left over from my truck repair, we did well!

Cheers

Richard
OK, hard to tell from the picture. The fence and the Holly trees (think that's right) just looked the same.

The tire money really surprised me at the time since it was an entirely different wheel that I had bent the rim. I was so nervous about them finding that damage that a "bubble" in the back tire just floored me! If they only knew...

Sod's law I think the deer had other idea's!
Yesterday, in the afternoon sun, but on adjacent private field, I spotted 2 red deer stags, spikers, sadly they didn't feed in my direction. After dark I drove around to the field entrance to try and scare them off other private to my permission, but a Land Rover followed me, pulled up, blocked me in, then he said, 'oh I recognise you now, he said my name, and I had no option but to tell the him what I was doing, his reply was 'jump over the gate and shoot them!' I told him it was now beyond legal shooting hours, he said don't worry, you can go in there any time, I was stoked to say the least, only 60 acres but a great place.
He drove off, but up the road he stopped again, I thought damn he's changed his mind, but he said, drop by my farm next week and I'll show you the maps to my main farm, happy days, I'm not sure how much he owns, but it's a lot!
No doubt they will have gone when I return later today, but maybe not!
Cheers
Richard

Hopefully Richard is busy cleaning a nice red stag right now.
I wish, it really is like chasing ghosts at the moment, season ends soon, females end of this month, then another month on the stags.....but Roe Bucks come in, of which I have been seeing plenty, until the start of the season, which is by no coincidence April fool's day!
Cheers
Richard

I am now flat out with clients and guests for cwd, I had a German friend over for the weekend, well all I can say 4 warning shots later we did manage to get a cwd buck!

I too have just picked up another 400 acres to hunt on again for cwd and muntjac.

I will see what happens there in the next week or so.

Lee, I had a bit of trouble reading your update.....CWD in the states is chronic wasting disease, not Chinese Water Deer!

Hope the new acreage is fruitful for you and your clients.

Back