Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A Successful Double

JTHOMP

My brother and I have attempted numerous doubles over the years trying to kill pig. Each time ended with neither of us killing.

Monday evening it finally came together. My dad called and said there’s pigs in one of the pastures. I grabbed and gun and checked it out. After giving it a look over from road I decided to share and called my brother.

We made a good stalk through the terrace rows and got into position. Most of pigs were in the woods. In total we saw 4 mature pigs at various times in and out of the field. After awhile we finally identify two sows that both of us had a shot at and dropped them both.

I sounded off the cadence. Ready_Aim_Fire
As the word fire was leaving my lips he fired off first. Not sure if in that split second I pulled or if the pig moved. I hit the pig way far back but got lucky. The last time we tried a double the same thing happened except when he fired first we were aiming at the same pig. He missed and my shot was it running also a miss.

Moving forward will practice on a double. Anyone ever practice a double shot or have a cool story?

Aside from hearts, tenderloins, and backstraps from one pig, we clean and cubed everything Monday night and this morning I’m finishing the batch of jars in the canner.
37230788-1F28-4D14-8C10-72D860661ACB.jpeg
398CA3F7-88D3-49F1-97D5-9E3E24535545.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice! Looks like full on spring down there!

In another month we’re pretty much in summer. Main wave of pollen seems to have passed. Trees are thick enough that the last few coons we treed got away.

Congratulations

I've doubled with kansasson several times, both using 12 gauge shotguns on turkeys. A little bit of leeway over one bullet down range.

Driving towards our predawn ambush spots we always rehearse the " one, two, BOOM!" cadence a couple of times. As he shoots left handed, we always know that he will sit on my right, and he will take the bird on the right.

We have missed twice on doubling attempts. One time I intentionally delayed my #5 shotstring to make certain he shot first, and then my bird ducked and ran just as I touched it off. These birds were at max range, and I didn't lead the movement enough.

The other time we failed to double, I had a crossbow, he the 12, and he was supposed to allow me to release the bolt first before firing, but he shot early and my bird ducked the bolt. That is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Me and a buddy tried to double on hogs once, out of about 7-8.. Yep, we both shot the same one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back