A song that takes you back....

You just instantly thrust me back to Quantico, Battalion Warrior Training, the 20 mile hump back to mainside. I was deployed for Desert Storm a week later.
Good songs will do that. Some times, if things go far enough sideways, a bad song will get you there too. My dads first wife left after 3 kids. He made me listen to Willie Nelson singing ’what can you do to me now’ every hunting trip for 20 years. That song takes me to the back side of Craig mountain in North Idaho every time I hear it.

Run Through the Jungle by Creedence Clearwater Revival , 1971-1972 South East Asia.
I’m in the back of my moms first husbands‘ impala. I’m pretending to sleep, looking at the moon while the smoke from the front drifts back across the seat, every song from that album takes me there. It was a long, smoky night.

one more.

Driving through Pirita on the outskirts of Tallinn Estonia in a light snow at midnight. Yellow streetlights lit everything up and they played this song every half hour or so. I was looking for a place to dispose of a body, but that’s another story.

Summer 76 backpack trip to the Beartooths. My dad would always do the Nevada stretch in the middle of the night. I would always ride shotgun listening to the radio and keeping him awake. This one was top 40 then, and always reminds me of that trip.

I haven't heard that song in a very long time, took me back to a girlfriend from when that song was new. That was an auditory trip I wasn't expecting.

Last edited:
Anything from the Crue. I had 2 really good buddies in high school back in the 80‘s. One of them had a mint 71 Camaro and the other a mint 71 firebird. We were 3 long haired knuckle heads and always in one of those cars cruising around listening to this music. All we needed then was enough money for a 30 pack of Strohs, gas for the car, and smoke to get our minds right and we were good. 10 years down the road both of those guys stood up in my wedding. Neither one is with us any more. Both passed away within a year of each other at 50 years old. One was my best man and the anniversary of his death is today. Miss them both.

Nearly all the songs on the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack- Hooked on a Feeling, Spirit in the Sky, etc remind me of 30 years ago of my first hunting experiences were when my dad would take my brother and I out and we would doze off in his truck while the poor guy woke up at 430 to drive us an hour to the spot and that’s what he listened to. He wouldve much rather slept in or fished in the evenings but he knew how much my brother and I loved duck hunting. I think he was happier than I was when I turned 16 and he just let me take the truck and boat so he could sleep in!!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back