NEW SITKA Ambient 75

A really odd request...

steve sutton

Many years ago on a hunt in the Pig Eye Basin, (Montana), we purchased our licenses in a little town that I can no longer remember the name of....in a bar....had a great burger and a beer and while I thought it was interesting at the time I never thought much about it...

Started to plan a hunt in Montana with a mid-20's new to hunting friend for this Fall and when we started talking about "which state" one of the things they said was...."I wanna go to Montana cause how cool is it to be able to buy a license in a bar"...

Now I know thats not what most people think of as a "qualification" for picking where to go but I'm great with Montana for the location and while not getting to buy the license in a bar won't be a big downer for the person it would be neat if possible....

The plan is for them to fly into Great Falls where I'll pick them up and then we'll likely head South into the CMR Refuge.....which brings us to THE REALLY ODD REQUEST.....

Does anyone in the area know where I might make this part of the "things I want to do on my first trip to the West" for this person happen within a reasonable distance of Great Falls?...

Thanks for you help....

Steve

Upland trip.....so all thats needed is a Small Game License...

make it any easier?.

Steve

I assume you are talking about Utica...the bar is still there but I don't think they sell tags anymore. As mentioned NR tags are a draw system. If you plan on hunting elk in the breaks be prepared to wait a few years to draw a tag.

Last year if you applied for a combo tag then you got one. Quite a few went over the counter during well into the season.

The Utica bar is, I believe...

The Oxbow Inn, or something like that.....we were staying near there and it was our nightly hangout after hunting....but thats not where we bought the licenses....can't recall where it was just that it was a really small town....

Upland licenses won't be a problem ... the problem will be finding the bar to buy them in....

Steve

O.K. East South East.....

and yes I know thats not ABSOLUTELY ACCURATE but since we haven't actually set the area in stone whewre we'll hunt lets call that "close".......

So anywhere South of 2, East of 15, West of the N.D. border, and north of 90 that might have a bar that sells SMALL GAME LICENSES.....

Much appreciated...

Steve

None of them sell SMALL GAME LICENSES.

Maybe you want a CONSERVATION LICENSE as well as an UPLAND GAME BIRD LICENSE?

My guess is when you bought your license at the bar it was before the online system. Back then all you had to do to sell licenses was get FWP to give you a pad of tags. Now they need computers internet printers etc. My guess is there are no bars selling licenses anymore?

Bueller....Bueller...Anyone?

Clearly this is in the planning stages ....

explaining not knowing that what we call one thing here Montana has a different name for......

WHO KNEW......

I knew that we could get them at the regular places but for some reason that...."I wanna buy a hunting license, (OOOPPPSSSS a Conservation License and an Upland Bird License), in a bar" held some special appeal to the new partner......

Thanks for the education....

Steve

stoneville saloon
us hwy 212, po box 97 (406) 828-4404

From mtlions link...

Appreciate the help.....

that ones a little to far East but the help is greatly appreciated.....

Steve

Head to Troy and you will have 2 choices... the Booze'n Bait and also the Yaak Tavern. Pretty sweet place to elk hunt too, gorgeous country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back