Caribou Gear Tarp

A non typical elk gun thread

My minimalist 700 w/Edge stock, 25" Lilja, VXR 4x12x40, mag charged w/3, & Pat Sinclair sling is purt near 8...I'm spoilt. I did betray Hugh Glass (MtMuley) cred with bolt & barrel flute...

This rifle has killed game (and maybe even men) all over the world. It's a WWII 30-06 Springfield. It has about the slickest bolt action I've ever cycled. You can find nice ones "sporterized" on GunPost for $400-$600. Then have fun tricking it out for a few hundred dollars more. The aftermarket add-on options are endless: barrels, triggers, safeties, bottom metal, stocks, iron sights, bases, etc. I wouldn't change the caliber ... but maybe the barrel. Depends on how fussy you are with MOA. 30-06 is unbeatable for versatility.
20221031_131148.jpg

My minimalist 700 w/Edge stock, 25" Lilja, VXR 4x12x40, mag charged w/3, & Pat Sinclair sling is purt near 8...I'm spoilt. I did betray Hugh Glass (MtMuley) cred with bolt & barrel flute...
I think straight flutes on a rifle are gorgeous. Spiral, not so much. Bolt flutes not for me either. For me it is a cost versus gain proposition. mtmuley

If I wanted a new rifle, and wanted to hunt everything in north America with that one rifle, I'd get a 30-06. It's already done it all, and will continue to do so in the years to come. Ymmv.

7mm PRC would be a hunting round to be looked at if going for impact, but 6.5CM would have longer barrel life. Lots of hate for the 6.5CM, so not trying to ruffle any feathers. Just that is is a great cartridge, as-is 308 Win. In this case it may get down to the action length, since 7mm PRC requires a long action.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back