NEW SITKA Ambient 75

A morning in the whitetail woods

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Having the world's greatest wife, she fully understood my desire to spend one morning in my favorite stretch of Montana creek bottom. Feeling guilty about being gone so much while filming, I hesitated to even raise the idea of going out for a morning of my own hunting; no cameras, no people, just me and the deer. Now, I am glad I did.

Got there at daylight and decided I would shoot the first 4-point buck I saw, not wanting to wear out Mrs. Fin's kind tolerance of my whitetail malady. While I walked in, low light images showed that deer were bounding out in front of me, making me glad that I had decided to come over this morning and spend a little hunting time for myself.

I got to my favorite spot on the creek, sat down, and within five minutes, a buck came ambling down the cottonwoods with his nose to the ground. Catching a glimpse of him coming, I readied, knowing he was a 4-point. Was not in a super big hurry, but was determined to stick to my promise.

He came to 80 yards, then stopped to look at me while using some willows as cover. I watched him and could tell he seemed like one that would put a smile on my face, given the limited time I had.

He stepped into some thicker brush, then walked away from me, losing sight of him in a little gully between me and the creek. Still did not have a good look at him, but knew if he stepped out on the trail he was taking, I would be ready to shoot. He read the script and did exactly what I asked. He stepped out of the gully, turned toward me and looked to see if that big orange blob of a fence post was still there.

By then, the crosshairs were already on his front shoulder. I still had not looked at him much and without looking further at the antlers a .180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip was headed his direction. In the scope I saw his head rock back as he collapsed.

Less than fifteen minutes into my sitting session and I was already digging through my pack to find the camera and Joby tripod. This was all I could have hoped for on this peaceful refreshing morning of watching deer in the creek bottom.

Not the biggest buck around, though one I am happy to shoot in my one morning available for whitetail hunting. He is a five on one side, with a broken sixth, just between the eye guard and the next point. The other side being a very nice rack of four tall points. Big smiles for me.

IMG_0433-001.JPG

Nice job, Fin. You sure make it look easy when the cameras are not rolling.

Decided to take at least 50 pictures, and ended up with way more than that. Not because he is a record book buck, but it seems that out of 50, I usually have three that are worth keeping.

Here are two better ones of the 84 pics I took.

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

While I was taking pictures, some does wanted to make sure they did not get left out of the story. One posed at 100 yards for a long time. Long enough for me to drop the camera and tripod, load some rounds into the Howa, extend the bipod, then sneak up to a flat spot that allowed for a slam dunk shot.

Did not take any pics of her in the field, but thought you would like to see them on their way back to the truck. Love these Jet Sleds I use for ice fishing ....... and for hauling deer out of the creek bottoms.

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

And before I got back to the truck, a second doe had made her contribution to the cause. No pics of her. The pile was getting rather unsightly.

Me, and a few friends to whom I always donate some meat, will be happy to be feasting on these over the coming year. As will the Food Bank, a group to which I always donate at least one whitetail doe every year.

This was such an enjoyable morning, I think I will give myself the present of at least one hunt a year without cameras, no other people, no expectations. Just me, the rutting bucks, and a quiet little stretch of creek bottom that connects two amazing whitetail nests about a mile apart. The peace and simple pleasure of sitting there and watching the November whitetails do their thing is hard to beat.

Hope you all fill your tags before your seasons end.

Nice!! You can't beat a relaxing hunt that includes 3 dead deer; to boot a dandy of a buck. Well done! You still look to be recovering from wind burn.

Well that's a great sounding hunt. I'm sure it's relieving to be able to hunt stress free. On the other hand if you happen to get bored sometime I know a guy who'd love to take a whitetail;)
Well deserved break before the madness again.

Great pictures Randy.Glad you had a chance for yourself.Enjoyed our conversation this afternoon,we needed to catch up on things.

Awesome, I can only imagine how relaxing that must be after all the filming that you do. What would the cardiologist say about you dragging all those deer out? :)

I was doing the same thing you were doing, only I shot does. Killed my buck last week.

Sometimes it is fun to hunt alone.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back