Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A Michigan U.P. hunting camp

recon6036

With Michigan's firearms deer season opening Sunday, I thought I'd share a few photographs of a U.P. hunting camp. The camp was built by my grandpa when he returned from WWII. With his death, my dad's aging and my moving away for 10 years, the camp has been somewhat neglected. Since moving back to the area, a few new windows and a new roof have been installed. As a youngster, I can remember a camp full of family/friends; with the smell of fuel oil burning in the Jungers oil stove, the sound of the flame flickering and old men snoring at night; deer stories occurring by day. Over the last 3 years, the walls have grown silent with my brother moving, my dad's age and caring for my ailing mom and my buddy no longer able to make the trip from Grand Rapids. So, now I'm the only one, but come opening morning, you can bet my ass will be sitting under a tree in the swamp, come first light.

Attachments

• camp6.jpg
    camp6.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 754
  • camp7.jpg
    camp7.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 733
  • camp8.jpg
    camp8.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 740
  • camp2.jpg
    camp2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 737
I love seeing deer camps! Good luck hunting. Keep deer camp alive and I'm sure one day it will again be full of happy, laughing hunters and stories about the buck that got away! Deer camp is a special place.

Ron,

Good luck this season and thanks for sharing the photo's. Give me a call on my cell, I just might be in the neighborhood and will swing in to say hi!

Great Camp !!

I will be in North central Michigan for deer hunting this year.

Wish I could get away more this year, but work is not making that possible (especially when I'm the boss), but at least I will be out there for opening day. I'll be hunting in the thumb which is great, but its nothing like "up north" deer camp. Good luck to you and I hope you have something good to report next week.

The UP is truly a very special place.

What part of the UP is your hunting camp located?

Thanks guys! Nothing like a clip of "Escanaba in da moonlight.". I actually live near Escanaba and my wife, who is from there, makes the best Pasties ever. She use to make them for hunting season all the time.

My camp is in Delta county, on the Stonington Peninsula, surrounded by the Hiawatha National Forest. Land of Orange and no deer.

Mark (Stillkickin), we'll have to get together soon......I'll bring you some elk steaks. Good luck hunting!

I hunted around Shingleton for about 8 years. Then moved to Montana for about 11 years. I'm back in Michigan now and have been hearing don't even go to the UP the deer have disappeared... That's too bad sure had great times up there .
Anyway great camp I'm sure the days ahead will change and camp will be full again !!
Best of luck to you !

MT.PERCHMAN.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Nothing like a clip of "Escanaba in da moonlight.". I actually live near Escanaba and my wife, who is from there, makes the best Pasties ever. She use to make them for hunting season all the time.

My camp is in Delta county, on the Stonington Peninsula, surrounded by the Hiawatha National Forest. Land of Orange and no deer.

Mark (Stillkickin), we'll have to get together soon......I'll bring you some elk steaks. Good luck hunting!

What's with the "No Deer" Recon? Wolves? I have a friend who has a cabin in the UP.
He plans on retiring there in a few years.

What's with the "No Deer" Recon? Wolves? I have a friend who has a cabin in the UP.
He plans on retiring there in a few years.

Somewhat sarcasm. There are still some deer around. Just look for my other post of my daughters first deer (proud dad) from yesterday. The U.P. has experienced three rough winters in a row which has the herd struggling though. Some say mismanagement by allowing 2 buck tags and years of almost unlimited doe tags. Others say the numbers of hunters have increased in some areas and some blame wolves. Could be a combination of all the above.

Amazing to me that the same B.S. about hunting seasons and predators that was going on when I got the hell out of the UP 50 years ago and away from the matured second growth and over-browsed deer yards that were shitty deer habitat then is still going on! My nephew and brother have hunting camps in northern Luce County, and they had 30 inches of snow before opening day last year. It didn't get any better the whole winter. Does do not have healthy fawns, if they have any, after harsh winters, and three in a row will certainly depress deer numbers.
Nostalgia is a great thing. Despite having much better white-tailed deer hunting in northeastern Wyoming over the past 40 years, I still think fondly of the 8 years spent in my Dad's hunting camp in the UP. We always raged with optimism the night before the season despite Luce County having the lowest hunter success rate in Michigan in those days. Very few older bucks killed because nobody could control their itchy trigger fingers. Same problem when they showed up to hunt in Wyoming.

I used to love spending time hunting deer out at my cousins in-laws camp down off 581 a few miles south of the Wayside Bar. Good times for sure. Nothing more fun than a UP deer camp.

Couldn't agree more about mature forests and over-browsed yards. Also agree, there's not much like time spent with family and friends at a U.P. deer camp. Most look forward to it, much like a child looks forward to Christmas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back