Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A Howlin' Good Time (wolf pics)

BCBOY

Went moose hunting this weekend with my dad and my 8 yr old boy. We were positioned just as the fog lifted on a big meadow complex where I always see moose. Not a single swamp donkey was out. I started cow calling and the only answers came from a couple wolves on the other side of the valley. We hunted for several hours and decided to head over see if we could find the wolves. My dad saw one dart across the logging road, so we sat waiting for it to come out. I decided to howl and 3 more darted across the road. Then the whole valley came alive with howling. There had to be well over a dozen wolves in there. My son and I both were howling, with wolves all around us answering us. My dad thought the wolves we saw were juveniles and they sounded young by their howls. There were 2 larger sounding howls below us on the river, so I left my dad and my son howling and moseyed the direction of the larger sounding howls. I worked my way through a patch of timber and came out on an edge of a recent logging block. I started howling and suddenly a wolf appeared in front of me. I got on him just as he went out of sight in the logging debris. He ended up walking only 20 yards from me with no shot opportunity available. I thought he would pick up my scent once he got past me, so I howled and he answered right back. I jumped up on a high stump and saw a good view of him. He was now in the timber moving pretty fast. I let one fly and missed but connected on my second shot. As soon as I saw him go down I howled again and had another one answer me. It wasn't 2 minutes later I heard my dad shoot. My son and my dad had turned around to see what I was doing and my son cried "Wolf". A wolf came out in front of them at about 75 yards. My dad let one rip but had brush in the way so he missed.
It was a cool experience to share with my dad and my son. This is my first wolf. I've had a few "missed" opportunities in the past but have never really had a good shot present itself until now. He looks to be a sub adult of the pack. I'd say he weighed 80-90 pounds. Not a huge dog but not small either.

A couple pics of my son with the wolf.
IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

My dad and my son with the wolf.
IMG_0888.jpg

Me and my son with the wolf.
IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

Some scenery pics from the weekend.
IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

awesome--way to go--I had them buggers howling with me up in the NWT, but couldn't bring 'em in --chris

Thanks for sharing BCB...I want one of those buggers for my wall one of these days!
Must get the hair standing up to have em' howling all around you!

Great Pictures and family to enjoy it with. Congrats. That wolf looks pretty good size to me.
I bet that is one experience all three of you won't forget.

awesome BCBOY. Looks like your son is having a great time with dad and grandpa!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back