A great MT turkey hunting weekend!

THWAK1

I took the girlfriend turkey hunting this past weekend. We had planned on bowhunting but she messed up her neck and can't draw her bow, so we resorted to shotgunning.

The ranch where we hunt usually has 150+ turkeys behind the buildings all winter and this past winter there were only 20. We chose not to be too pickey.

The first morning I headed to a well used roosting area before daylight (the gf decided to sleep in). I heard a tom gobbling and moved within 100 yards and set out a lone hen decoy and let out a few soft calls. I watched as he flew out of his roost and slowly worked his way toward the decoy. He held up at 55 yards and started strutting but wouldn't come any closer. One shot out of my Browning and he was down. I took a few pictures and was back to the truck by 7:30am.

I woke up the gf, she got ready and we took off looking for a bird for her. I parked the truck in an area where we could glass and we started making sandwiches for lunch. Half way through lunch, she glassed a bird moving in the shade on the far side of the field. We finished eating, grabbed our gear and headed out to cut the bird off.

I was leading the way through tthe timber when we topped a small ridge and I could see a bunch of red heads down below us. I glassed them and confirmed that they were all jakes. I asked if she wanted to shoot a jake and she said yes, as she has never shot a turkey and wanted to break the ice. They were out of range, scratching and eating. I started by letting out soft purrs and that got thier attention and got them headed slowly our way. Finally within range, I let out a few loud clucks and that got thier heads up. I told her to take the close one and she dropped him with one shot.

We took some pictures and headed back to the truck to take pictures of both of our birds together. I offered to carry her jake but she insisted on carrying her own bird out. It was a fun hunt and we got a couple of great birds for the freezer (now I can try out the turkey fryer I got for Christmas).

Attachments

• DSCN0551.jpg
    DSCN0551.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCN0563.jpg
    DSCN0563.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 363
  • DSCN0571.jpg
    DSCN0571.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCN0580.jpg
    DSCN0580.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 344
Thanks everyone, it was a fun weekend. She's really starting to like the whole hunting thing, minus the cold weather. LOL

Great job thinning the flock.Looks like your pattern opened up a bit at 55 yds. and removed a couple tail feathers.Nice to see a female turkey hunter on this site.I'm looking forward to getting my daughter out,but it won't be for a number of years.Double congrats on your hunt.

Great job thinning the flock.Looks like your pattern opened up a bit at 55 yds. and removed a couple tail feathers.Nice to see a female turkey hunter on this site.I'm looking forward to getting my daughter out,but it won't be for a number of years.Double congrats on your hunt.

Actually, the Tom's fan was like that when I shotgunned him. Those missing tail feathers are from opening weekend and a broadhead tipped arrow! I killed him within 100 yards of where I shot him 5 weeks earlier and he was in the same roost tree both times. That is, "The rest of the story". LOL

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back