Yeti GOBOX Collection

A Great Montana Steakhouse

What about the Lolo Steakhouse?
I used to eat there 22 years ago when I lived up Sleeman Gulch....
I've never been there, but I've also never heard a bad thing said about it. If I remember its changed hands in the last decade, I may be wrong and thinking of another place.

I'm sold.

I love me a small-town steak. I wrote this about an experience I had at The Windsor Bar, in Boulder, MT a month or so ago.

A feature of small town bars is that the bartender is often also the cook, busser, dishwasher, and hostess.

This evening at the Windsor in Boulder the gal running the bar was solo and at one time serving 19 imbibers, a portion of which were also eating, and the show ran beyond smooth - it ran perfect.

I believe most of the world’s art is associated with work, and is actually not the fruity free time recreation of paintbrushes and some instrument we most often think of when we think of art, and tonight an artist cooked me a steak.

Pablo Picasso said that, “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”

Heck yeah buddy , a gullet of beef fat from a perfectly cooked steak and a beer will add a sheen to the human spirit that’ll blind ya.

View attachment 243980
perfect....except you don't have a solid Montana brew there like Kettlehouse Cold Smoke or Jeremiah Johnson Scottish Ale. :)

To point out the obvious, Montana is beef country. Steak is essentially the easiest thing in the world to cook properly. Throw in a baked potato, overcooked vegetables and an iceberg lettuce salad and you've got fine-dining MT style.

Someone had to say it 😁

To point out the obvious, Montana is beef country. Steak is essentially the easiest thing in the world to cook properly. Throw in a baked potato, overcooked vegetables and an iceberg lettuce salad and you've got fine-dining MT style.

Someone had to say it 😁
It's funny you mention that. What I can't understand is why the ranchers don't start up a coop and do a retail butcher store ONLY IN MONTANA. The reason I say only Montana is that transportation costs could kill ya. The ranchers really have a tough time up here. Ground isn't as productive or as wet as Florida. Sidebar: the Seminole tribe runs 80,000 head in south Florida. The packing houses are now owned by big conglomerates that basically screw the feedlots and the ranchers. There is one outfit (little Belt Cattle Co.) that is trying to do a retail store but it hasn't happened yet. You have some big ranches that could, together, squeeze the balls of these foreign owned (some) packing houses. Why hasn't this happened????

Also, I'm surprised how this thread has taken off.

It's funny you mention that. What I can't understand is why the ranchers don't start up a coop and do a retail butcher store ONLY IN MONTANA. The reason I say only Montana is that transportation costs could kill ya. The ranchers really have a tough time up here. Ground isn't as productive or as wet as Florida. Sidebar: the Seminole tribe runs 80,000 head in south Florida. The packing houses are now owned by big conglomerates that basically screw the feedlots and the ranchers. There is one outfit (little Belt Cattle Co.) that is trying to do a retail store but it hasn't happened yet. You have some big ranches that could, together, squeeze the balls of these foreign owned (some) packing houses. Why hasn't this happened????

Also, I'm surprised how this thread has taken off.
It's not that easy to market your own beef, but more and more producers are trying. Guy down the road from me is getting set up to sell farm direct. There is a ranch family in Idaho that does a lot of internet promoting of their business and how they raise their animals using the best conservation practices. They sell out quickly and at a premium plus price. They are selling a story as much as selling a product. Good for them if they can keep it up through good times and bad.

We have a butcher shop here that buys local beef and cuts and sells it.
He runs out every week. The problem here there are few processing plants.
it is like 8 weeks turnaround on his beef.
One of our OLD stake houses used to have its own ranch and raised its own beef. What ever reason they don't do it anymore.

I went again last night to the Musselshell Steakhouse to celebrate my bull elk, and the owner wanted to thank the hunters that saw this post and stopped in for dinner. He greatly appreciated your business. For me personally, last night's dinner was consistent with 3 weeks earlier when I posted this thread. This time I got the wedge salad. Pics of both my meals are posted. See for yourself. This is an awesome restaurant. Atmosphere is great and service was excellent. I've been to tge top steakhouses in NYC, Ben Benson's, Gallaghers' Peter Luger's, Smith & Wollensky's and the match or best these great establishments. Help a fellow Montanan out. They are nice, hard working family-run establishment.

Attachments

• 42247.jpeg
    42247.jpeg
    793 KB · Views: 21
  • 42248.jpeg
    42248.jpeg
    758.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221104_184514.jpg
    20221104_184514.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221104_190041.jpg
    20221104_190041.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221104_184525.jpg
    20221104_184525.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20221001_183426.jpg
    20221001_183426.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20221001_190159.jpg
    20221001_190159.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20221001_190010.jpg
    20221001_190010.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
So the owner answered my question about the ranches starting thier own meat packing plant. Apparently, USDA is the big PIA to deal with. Go figure, right? Lots of Regs to meet, and various inspections and approvals. Fair enough. Little Belt Cattle Co. Is trying to sell directly to the public.

Grizzly bar in roscoe
Cowboys in fishtail
Jersey lil
Land of magic
The old grand hotel in big timber
Oasis

Few good ones out there.
The Oasis in Manhattan is currently closed. Owners sold to one guy who apparently sold again in less than a month. No idea what is going on with this place. Was a great steak years ago.
Adding the Sac Bar in the basement of the Sacajawea Hotel in Three Forks. Had their steaks Friday night and was pleasantly surprised. Very good. Been several years since I had tried them. Would recommend. Live singing while we were there too.
Woolzie's Willow Creek Cafe should be on your list too.

I ate there last year during my deer hunt and it was outstanding by far the best I've found to date in MT been back several times it's getting so popular that reservations are required and it's bringing people from hours away just for dinner

The Flatiron at the Den in Dillon is awesome.

Wassweiler in Helena does a wicked ribeye

Rose Room in Bynum - best overall presentstion

Went up to Great Falls for mule deer hunting after the elk hunt and found another good restaurant.....Montana Club. Had the 12oz Bison Ribeye. Quite an unusual taste and very good. Really enjoyed everything there.

Went up to Great Falls for mule deer hunting after the elk hunt and found another good restaurant.....Montana Club. Had the 12oz Bison Ribeye. Quite an unusual taste and very good. Really enjoyed everything there.
Go there on your birthday and you get percentage discount equaling your age. We took Mom for her 100th bd to Montana Club in GF. She was delighted to get a free meal and giggled when they "carded" her. :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back